Junkyard windshield

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@Rocket Man does the GMT800 chassis have some sort of alignment marks or pins so the windshield will go on straight? I think I get only one attempt to "squish" the new bead of urethane when I'm installing the windshield.
I haven’t done a windshield in many years, never done a GMT800. But on others I’ve never seen any alignment marks. There should be a pair of blocks at the bottom for it to set on so up-and-down is set so you just need to eyeball the side-to-side. You’ll be able to move it after setting it in the urethane. It takes awhile to cure. The urethane is 3/8-1/2” thick and I always left the old material in place and just laid a bead of the new on top of the old. If you remove it all the way to the pinch weld it’s more difficult to get the thickness correct and can be messy. You don’t want to get liquid urethane everywhere and to try and lay that thick bead isn’t a good idea. So try not to damage the original when cutting the windshield out.

Larryjb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why would I have recommended not doing the glass yourself? A glass company accidently mounted my windshield on a Buick incorrectly. They were very good about fixing it though. They removed the windshield and reset it correctly. However, they said there is a real risk of shattering the glass as it is removed. I could see myself grunting away trying to remove a junkyard glass only to shatter it just as it comes free. When I saw how they grunted and groaned to remove the glass so it could be reset, and that was with two people, I wouldn't want to do it.

That said, I'm sure there are people would would have told me don't do my rear main seal myself.

It is your choice, and sometimes financial situations dictate what is possible as well.

NoReverseYukon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First, your lucky that the junkyard you go to is letting you remove the windshield yourself. Mine wouldn't because they know most people will break them in trying to do so. But they removed 2 ( 1 for my Dakota also ) for $70 each.

I also intended to try replacing these myself - think i even started a thread - and received the same feedback you are getting. I went so far as to buy all the stuff I thought I would need.
This is the YT video which shows what steps you should take.
It is also the video that made me change my mind.

I found a reputable shop that would install used windshields ( as opposed to me buying 2 new ones from them ). They charged me $150 each.

Could I have done this myself ? Probably. Would I have it not leak after the urethane cured ? Who knows. But with my luck it likely would have leaked. Then I would either have to do it again - gaining that much more experience - or take it to the shop to fix my screw-up.

Good luck

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First, your lucky that the junkyard you go to is letting you remove the windshield yourself. Mine wouldn't because they know most people will break them in trying to do so. But they removed 2 ( 1 for my Dakota also ) for $70 each.

I also intended to try replacing these myself - think i even started a thread - and received the same feedback you are getting. I went so far as to buy all the stuff I thought I would need.
This is the YT video which shows what steps you should take.
It is also the video that made me change my mind.

I found a reputable shop that would install used windshields ( as opposed to me buying 2 new ones from them ). They charged me $150 each.

Could I have done this myself ? Probably. Would I have it not leak after the urethane cured ? Who knows. But with my luck it likely would have leaked. Then I would either have to do it again - gaining that much more experience - or take it to the shop to fix my screw-up.

Good luck
Yessir, urethane set windshields are no joke. There’s a cool tool that uses a piano wire and cordless drill to remove them but iirc that tool is about $500 which would be worth it if you were doing it for a living. FWIW I had a new windshield installed in my 08 Silverado in my driveway at home for $200 about 3 years ago, by a small shop. Safelite wanted $350. I’m sure it’s more now but probably still not that much. I feel most of what you’ll find at a junkyard for this old a vehicle will be pitted from all the mileage on them. If you call the small shops you’ll get a better deal. There’s a huge markup on windshields due to insurance companies paying for most of them so a lot of shops will waive the deductible if you have coverage because they make bank on insurance jobs.

George B

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
I think the hardest part is going to be getting the wire fed thru somewhere, I couldn't get it thru, but once you get that far it can be sawed out with the wire I have seen that done with 2 people doing it.
Years ago we would pull glass from wrecks in a yard I worked at. We drilled a hole through the urethane and sawed them out with two people. The tool was useless. We installed using a roll of urethane but I don’t know if thats available now.

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yessir, urethane set windshields are no joke. There’s a cool tool that uses a piano wire and cordless drill to remove them but iirc that tool is about $500 which would be worth it if you were doing it for a living. FWIW I had a new windshield installed in my 08 Silverado in my driveway at home for $200 about 3 years ago, by a small shop. Safelite wanted $350. I’m sure it’s more now but probably still not that much. I feel most of what you’ll find at a junkyard for this old a vehicle will be pitted from all the mileage on them. If you call the small shops you’ll get a better deal. There’s a huge markup on windshields due to insurance companies paying for most of them so a lot of shops will waive the deductible if you have coverage because they make bank on insurance jobs.
Interesting thoughts on going with a small time glass company versus Safelight and that you had a better experience going that route.

I had a pretty nasty experience with a small time glass shop when I needed mine done in September of 2021. I actually had a good working relationship with this little time glass shop because they sent a glass tech up at least a few times a month back when the big mechanic shop here in big bear that was owned by my high school auto shop teacher was in full swing and I was detailing for them every week. The tech came up from San Bernardino at the base of the mountain and their shop is right next door to the San Bernardino LKQ pick and pull yard. Mechanic shop owner swore by them and told me not to go anywhere else because no one would do as good of a job as they would. Glass shop finally got a gmt800 windshield in stock, I tried to pay for the windshield over the phone before driving down off the mountain, and he said he couldn’t take payment over the phone and “we don’t offer pre buying glass, it’s first come first served”…. So I said ok I’m on my way I’ll be there in an hour. I get there and he’s literally putting the windshield on a burb…… I was furious and when I politely called him out on the fact that he knew i was making the hour drive down the mountain to give him the business he responded with “well you should have paid for it ahead of time…..” it’s a miracle I didn’t punch him in the face I was so mad. Needless to say when several big bear clients needed glass over the last couple years, and asked if I knew of his business because the clients had been given his contact info I steered them well away from the guy. What a joke that guy was….

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Interesting thoughts on going with a small time glass company versus Safelight and that you had a better experience going that route.

I had a pretty nasty experience with a small time glass shop when I needed mine done in September of 2021. I actually had a good working relationship with this little time glass shop because they sent a glass tech up at least a few times a month back when the big mechanic shop here in big bear that was owned by my high school auto shop teacher was in full swing and I was detailing for them every week. The tech came up from San Bernardino at the base of the mountain and their shop is right next door to the San Bernardino LKQ pick and pull yard. Mechanic shop owner swore by them and told me not to go anywhere else because no one would do as good of a job as they would. Glass shop finally got a gmt800 windshield in stock, I tried to pay for the windshield over the phone before driving down off the mountain, and he said he couldn’t take payment over the phone and “we don’t offer pre buying glass, it’s first come first served”…. So I said ok I’m on my way I’ll be there in an hour. I get there and he’s literally putting the windshield on a burb…… I was furious and when I politely called him out on the fact that he knew i was making the hour drive down the mountain to give him the business he responded with “well you should have paid for it ahead of time…..” it’s a miracle I didn’t punch him in the face I was so mad. Needless to say when several big bear clients needed glass over the last couple years, and asked if I knew of his business because the clients had been given his contact info I steered them well away from the guy. What a joke that guy was….
I used to work at a few small glass shops that did residential glass and auto glass so not only have I had good luck using them over my long lifetime but I knew quite a few of them. I can confidently say that what happened to you is extremely rare. The small shops rely on word of mouth, there is zero advertising for them versus a big chain like Safelite who have ads on tv and radio constantly so it’s their quality of work as well as price that brings them business and they rely heavily on return customers. Not sure what happened in your case but I’d be willing to bet that that was a fluke otherwise they wouldn’t be in business long. I have been out of the auto glass business for many many years so I asked my friend who owns a body shop who he uses and went with them. They were extremely professional and did the work in my driveway which was super convenient. I could tell they appreciated my business. I’ll use them again when the time comes.

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I used to work at a few small glass shops that did residential glass and auto glass so not only have I had good luck using them over my long lifetime but I knew quite a few of them. I can confidently say that what happened to you is extremely rare. The small shops rely on word of mouth, there is zero advertising for them versus a big chain like Safelite who have ads on tv and radio constantly so it’s their quality of work as well as price that brings them business and they rely heavily on return customers. Not sure what happened in your case but I’d be willing to bet that that was a fluke otherwise they wouldn’t be in business long. I have been out of the auto glass business for many many years so I asked my friend who owns a body shop who he uses and went with them. They were extremely professional and did the work in my driveway which was super convenient. I could tell they appreciated my business. I’ll use them again when the time comes.
Yeah when you have the connections with those shops and good reputation with them it helps big time. I make a point to make friends with lots of different businesses here in town by doing good detail work so that when I need a service of some kind I can always call up w connection and use it to my advantage lol. Definitely easier when the plumber, the electrician, the HVAC guys, and the eye doctors all love it when I detail their cars immaculately and then when I need stuff done they bend over backwards for me haha.

OP
OP
Matthew Jeschke

Matthew Jeschke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I talked with a glass guy. He says the shops have a power tool to cut them out which works great... I don't know what the tool is called or what it costs. Maybe I just buy that tool to cut the one out at the junkyard?

mountie

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Every morning I see through my windshield... I can see, there is an even coverage of tiny pitting. I have a tiny rock-caused crack above my steering wheel, but it won't spread. ( I suppose that's a good thing )..... Waiting for a problem so I can contact my insurance company. But until then, I will have to put up with it. A new windshield would be nice.....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BrentL9900