2023 Yukon XL Windshield Wipers periodically stop working while driving

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kjm_333

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a 2023 GMC Yukon XL. I bought it brand new. I currently have 11K miles on it.

Periodically when I'm driving in the rain with my front windshield wipers on they totally stop working. I try every setting on the wiper dial (all intermittent settings and LO and HI) and they won't start working again. I will be driving at any speed up to 65 mph. They'll stay off for anywhere from 5-15 minutes and then just start working again. Everything else on that stem will continue working properly (all settings for rear wipers, turn signals, even the windshield wash button -- but no wipers).

This is clearly very dangerous and very bad. I've taken it to my GMC dealer, but they cannot find fault because it's not failing at the particular moment they are troubleshooting it. They've told me "too bad" which to me is ridiculous and they won't try swapping out parts to find a solution. I've escalated to GM Customer Service but so far they've only told me to seek a second opinion.

I have 2 questions:
1. Has anyone seen or heard of this before and have any recommendations on what could be wrong?
2. Does anyone have any advice on how to get better support from GM/GMC for something that is clearly a significant safety issue for a truck that is still under warranty?

Silverado4x4

Reaction score
I had a similar issue with our 22 Tahoe but they wouldn't stay off as long as yours, go into settings and turn off rain sense for the wipers and see if that works that cured our problem I know when to turn on or speed up the wipers I dont need the vehicle making that decision for me.

OP
OP
K

kjm_333

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. I thought of that as a solution, but the wipers will not work even when on LO or HI setting. I assumed those settings bypassed the rain sensor -- is that an incorrect assumption?

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, low and high will/should bypass the rain-sense.

I would advise taking a video the next time it happens and show what you are doing to try and make it work. I did this for a warranty weirdness on my 2017 for a radio that was glitching out and A/C that was intermittent. Helped a lot for the tech and warranty.

OP
OP
K

kjm_333

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have taken multiple videos and showed them to my GMC service rep prior to the tech troubleshooting (and couldn't find anything because it doesn't happen all the time). I'm shocked that he found it acceptable for the truck to leave their service department without 100% functional wipers. Such a huge safety issue.

I tried to upload the video but it's too large...

Vladimir2306

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This problem was described here. They also often hang in the upper position for 1-2 seconds. This has happened to me several times already.

StephenPT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There was another thread here that talked about the headlights turning off for a couple of seconds - I think it was @GoNoGo that had the issue.

I also have noticed on my '22 the wipers pause for maybe a second at most and then resume. Your issue sounds different as they completely die for up to 15min. That is a serious safety issue and I think you should file a complaint with the NHTSA. Also could be an intermittent ground that needs to be fully tightened. It would be nice to get a wiring diagram and see what all the wiper motor is tied into.

VAguy68

Reaction score
I had that problem and turned off rain sense and it hasn't happened since.

Blueinterceptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Try to duplicate the problem yourself with a water hose spraying the windshield. If you figure how to duplicate the issue, you could show the dealer. Is it possible the motor gets heated and then resets itself to work again?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dustpan

Latest posts