Junkyard windshield

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I used to do auto glass for a living. No way in hell would I go through the effort to put in a used windshield but if you wanna do it, that’s cool. Should be the same windshield in all the NBS so there should be plenty available. FYI windshields in the US are laminated glass- 3/32” layers of glass and an .030 “ iirc plastic inner layer. The individual outer layers break extremely easily if their edge is barely nicked so you’ll want to be super careful. Don’t use that removal tool, it will def break every windshield. If they were tempered like in Europe I would say it’s pretty feasible. But I’ve never heard of a used one being R&R’d in the US since they started using urethane to glue them in. In the 60’s-70’s (and before )they were installed in either butyl or rubber gaskets- fairly easily removable. They are now designed to be a structural part of your truck ( thus the urethane) so be sure to research how to glue it back in properly or your roof and A pillar will crush in a rollover. Good luck, let us know how it goes.

Mean_Green

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Everything else you've mentioned is in the DIY field and many here have done some or all of those tasks. That's why they know how to help others.

Glass is just a completely different world. Trying to pull old glass that's been sitting in a junkyard under hot sun possibly for years where the sealant may be hardened to something more akin to plastic is going to be a difficult process. Then handling and moving it. Windshields are not lightweight and without special glass handling tools, it's very unlikely to be done intact.

Again, check with your insurance company to see what they cover. Without Comprehensive they may not, but it will only cost a phone call to find out.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I think most of the reason we recommended not doing it is that, except for @Rocket Man, we have not even attempted. Glass breaks and goes everywhere and makes blood. If it was super expensive, I might even try it but only if the rubber seal was used. The urethane seal is a whole other animal and I have seen it done. By all means, go for it. Even if you break it and wish you had not attempted, it is a learning experience. Good luck.

OP
OP
Matthew Jeschke

Matthew Jeschke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks everybody... Really appreciate the conversation and help :)

I'm going to give away what I'd never do again haha...

1. Changing tires w/ tire iron. I cracked a rim. Might be feasible with a commuter car, however, no way with aluminium rims and 10 ply / load E tires. Then I tried a Sawzall to bust the bead. Extremely hard but got it done! If I had more space, I'd buy a used tire machine like the shop has.
2. Headliner, dang-it, I saved $10 over what shop quoted me and can see hand marks ALL my DIY job :( I think shop buys glue in bulk so is much cheaper than rattle cans for them to do job.

Maybe someday I add windshield but really want to fiddle with this. In the least I hope to remove mine, and do the prep work behind the glass / priming and sealing the paint. I did a paint job and that's one area I was unable to touch up. Want to make sure it doesn't rust in future!

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You've probably got nothing to lose by taking the old one out if you don't need to drive the vehicle. Then you'll see more about what's involved and can make a decision on how to proceed.

If it works out, you can be here to tell the next guy what to expect.
yep, learned a lot in the junk yard experimenting on stuff that didn't matter if I broke it in the process unless it was some hard to find part and really needed to be careful, plus getting parts off of something that is already halfway torn apart makes a difference often

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A couple notes.

1. The upper plastic trim piece at the top. The sides both come off with screws, but the top one is pressed in while the urethane is still liquid and then it cures. I don’t think it’s possible to reuse so I’d look into buying that part. New windshields come with them.

2. Urethane. I’m not sure how familiar you are with it. It’s liquid rubber that is applied from a caulking gun that cures into hard rubber. You’re going to want to cut it (split the bond ) where it meets the glass as opposed to cutting anywhere in the middle because you will not get anywhere trying to cut in the middle. That’s like trying to cut through a tire. That’s why you’ll need something like a wire. Getting that wire through the urethane in the first place will be hard, and you’ll want it tight to the glass so you can start your cut there.

3. Be super careful with chips on the inside edge of the glass, where the wire or cutout tool touches the glass edge. If you chip it, it will probably crack when you press down on the edge from the outside if it doesn’t crack immediately. I would sand ( seam) the edge with a belt sander/ w 220 grit until the chips aren’t visible. Sand at a 45* angle to the surface so you’re beveling the edge slightly. Dont get too crazy, just a few passes back and forth.

That’s about all I can think of right now that might cause a failure. Well, that and leaking once it’s in but I feel you’ll figure out how to get a good seal.

OP
OP
Matthew Jeschke

Matthew Jeschke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@Rocket Man does the GMT800 chassis have some sort of alignment marks or pins so the windshield will go on straight? I think I get only one attempt to "squish" the new bead of urethane when I'm installing the windshield.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think the hardest part is going to be getting the wire fed thru somewhere, I couldn't get it thru, but once you get that far it can be sawed out with the wire I have seen that done with 2 people doing it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laurents10