Junkyard windshield

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Matthew Jeschke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My windshield is getting bad. It has a bigger crack in it now. Sooner or later it will need replaced. I asked the junkyard for the heck of it last time I was there what they wanted for the glass. They said they'd sell me a windshield for $40! I've done every solitary thing on my truck so far... I may try and do this too.

However, I'm not 100% sure what years are compatible with no issues. I assume all GMT800 NBS trucks? 2000 to 2006?

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I would not assume with a w/s. Any slight difference can cause big problems during install that could lead to glass everywhere. I have watched glass installs. Most of the time, a better experience happens when the rubber seal is new and of course, prep is important and the sealer is too. I have never rebuilt a diff but would try it. I have never done a w/s and would never try it. Good luck.

blueinkd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good luck. This seems like a repair that would be better left to a experience glass man. A new one is about $150 around here.

OP
OP
Matthew Jeschke

Matthew Jeschke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If anybody has installed glass before knows part number compatibility let me know. I cannot seem to find a catalogue to show what years have the same windshield.

mountie

Supporting Member
Reaction score
If anybody has installed glass before knows part number compatibility let me know. I cannot seem to find a catalogue to show what years have the same windshield.
Take a look at the driver's lower - corner windshield. Read the info ( Pinkerton ? ) Maybe a number also?
Honestly, compare the labor to prep-install a used glass versus a new/ installed.... I'd go with a new. To be safe. And a CLEAN view.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
if you are going to pull one good luck, from what I have heard they tend to break easily and you need a piece of piano wire to cut it out. Probably will need or want a couple of glass suction cup tools to both pull it and put it on.
I attempted it once or twice many years ago, did not have the proper wire and couldn't get a tool in edgewise so you may want to research how it is done with success.

I could see trying to do it if the glass was $500 or something ridiculous but between time and effort and tools and sealant, $150 to have a shop do it is a easy alternate choice

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
meandmyhoe20

Latest posts