2005 Suburban "Bluey"

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Chrisw_2003

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I got this suburban a little over a year ago. Needed something to drive while I upgrade my 01 Duramax even more(forged motor, second turbo and overbuilt transmission). Bought it at auction, paid $3700 for it before taxes and fees. Had 242583 miles on it, at almost 260k now. So far I've replaced the rear struts on the lift gate and glass, blower motor, license plate lights, led headlights with proper aiming >< had the pump rub issue and got that fixed. the shop messed up the windshield seals when they jacked it up as I also had them do the rear main and the oil pump O-ring and now when it rains hard (joys of living in the PNW) it comes through the passenger side footwell. I've replaced the blower motor and the resistor control itself twice now. Shop said my sunroof is leaking and that's what caused it >< Never leaked before at the car wash I went to twice a week until I got it back. Got new fog light by ramjet I am installing this weekend. I also have to replace the windshield wiper reservoir with the new one I have as well as it's cracked.

Plans for it are to do a 6.2 turbo and 6L90E swap with an upgraded transfer case. do either a 4/5 or 5/6 drop on it with 20(maybe 22)x10 wheels all around. I've got the brake adapters for the C6 ZR1 front calipers and C7 Z51 rear brakes, braided lines and a transcooler for the hydroboost lines from the PS. I also want to do the 05 Silverado SS front end swap on it.

I've forgotten how cheap it is to build these compared to my Duramax. Diesel Tax FTL

I also have a 01 yukon xl the wife drives.

Attachments

• 20240214_165448.jpg
    20240214_165448.jpg
    400.8 KB · Views: 9

Trey Hardy

8” fabtech icon coilovers uniballs 24x14on35/15.50
Reaction score
I got this suburban a little over a year ago. Needed something to drive while I upgrade my 01 Duramax even more(forged motor, second turbo and overbuilt transmission). Bought it at auction, paid $3700 for it before taxes and fees. Had 242583 miles on it, at almost 260k now. So far I've replaced the rear struts on the lift gate and glass, blower motor, license plate lights, led headlights with proper aiming >< had the pump rub issue and got that fixed. the shop messed up the windshield seals when they jacked it up as I also had them do the rear main and the oil pump O-ring and now when it rains hard (joys of living in the PNW) it comes through the passenger side footwell. I've replaced the blower motor and the resistor control itself twice now. Shop said my sunroof is leaking and that's what caused it >< Never leaked before at the car wash I went to twice a week until I got it back. Got new fog light by ramjet I am installing this weekend. I also have to replace the windshield wiper reservoir with the new one I have as well as it's cracked.

Plans for it are to do a 6.2 turbo and 6L90E swap with an upgraded transfer case. do either a 4/5 or 5/6 drop on it with 20(maybe 22)x10 wheels all around. I've got the brake adapters for the C6 ZR1 front calipers and C7 Z51 rear brakes, braided lines and a transcooler for the hydroboost lines from the PS. I also want to do the 05 Silverado SS front end swap on it.

I've forgotten how cheap it is to build these compared to my Duramax. Diesel Tax FTL

I also have a 01 yukon xl the wife drives.
As Cletus McFarland would say
“hell yea brother”

OP
OP
Chrisw_2003

Chrisw_2003

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Changed the oil, installed the oil/air separator. Also did the windshield wiper arm swap to the older model. Installed some under the hood LEDs that have a hood switch to turn on and off. New windshield wiper fluid reservoir as well with new pumps, sensor and lines to the body. But didn't get any pics of those. Went to install my new mirror/dash cam but my mirror is too big for it to go over, so put it in my wife's Yukon XL. I might do the fog lights tomorrow and clean the windows and go to the car wash and see if I was able to seal the leak from the shop.

Attachments

• 214403.jpeg
    214403.jpeg
    336.3 KB · Views: 4
  • 214404.jpeg
    214404.jpeg
    404.8 KB · Views: 4
OP
OP
Chrisw_2003

Chrisw_2003

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Nothing fancy. Just swapped out my antenna for a short one and changed the door lights out for some RGB ones that promptly got stuck on blue as the remote stopped working, probably a dead battery as who knows how long it was sitting on a shelf.

I'm trying to decide if I want new wheels and tires or upgrade the stereo next both would be nice as I travel and spend a lot of time inside it for going to work. I'll probably flip a coin

Attachments

• 20240227_133507.jpg
    20240227_133507.jpg
    201.8 KB · Views: 4
  • 20240227_133444.jpg
    20240227_133444.jpg
    316.9 KB · Views: 3

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do the stereo upgrade first! lol. I’m in my truck tons of time and having an Apple CarPlay enabled headunit that allows me to seamlessly stream from Spotify along with having Siri command for hands free calling and texting is a godsend. And being able to see Apple Maps mirrored on the screen for navigation is amazing.

OP
OP
Chrisw_2003

Chrisw_2003

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Do the stereo upgrade first! lol. I’m in my truck tons of time and having an Apple CarPlay enabled headunit that allows me to seamlessly stream from Spotify along with having Siri command for hands free calling and texting is a godsend. And being able to see Apple Maps mirrored on the screen for navigation is amazing.
I'm leaning towards that. I have an XM radio subscription and a decent Bluetooth FM transmitter. My phone is a S22 ultra, so it's a decent sized screen. Biggest thing would be pulling the subwoofer out of my truck and moving it over. Also second battery mod, maybe see if I can fit the express battery mount on the frame like my truck. Open up the primary location for a distribution block or a coolant chamber for a a2l intercooler.

Also took a few pictures of the LED strip I put on

Attachments

• 20240303_201927.jpg
    20240303_201927.jpg
    190.4 KB · Views: 3
  • 20240303_201839.jpg
    20240303_201839.jpg
    211.7 KB · Views: 3

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm leaning towards that. I have an XM radio subscription and a decent Bluetooth FM transmitter. My phone is a S22 ultra, so it's a decent sized screen. Biggest thing would be pulling the subwoofer out of my truck and moving it over. Also second battery mod, maybe see if I can fit the express battery mount on the frame like my truck. Open up the primary location for a distribution block or a coolant chamber for a a2l intercooler.

Also took a few pictures of the LED strip I put on
XM has commercials…. Eww…. lol. Just kidding. I had XM for the first few months I owned the truck but once I upgraded to a better headunit and starting paying for Spotify premium I never went back to XM. It’s way cheaper, never any commercial breaks, access to millions of songs, can keep playlists downloaded in offline mode, podcasts, new music all the time, and never any breaks in coverage if there’s no reception.

OP
OP
Chrisw_2003

Chrisw_2003

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
XM has commercials…. Eww…. lol. Just kidding. I had XM for the first few months I owned the truck but once I upgraded to a better headunit and starting paying for Spotify premium I never went back to XM. It’s way cheaper, never any commercial breaks, access to millions of songs, can keep playlists downloaded in offline mode, podcasts, new music all the time, and never any breaks in coverage if there’s no reception.
Yeah I have Apple Music and YouTube Premium.Those use Data and space on my phone, and there are places where I travel that have absolutely no service for hours, not even radio so having something better than static is worth it YouTube is so much better than Spotify

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah…. I guess I just have enough space in my phone for tons of weeks worth of music stored to offline mode on Spotify so I can listen to it anywhere and it doesn’t ever cut in or out lol. I just force 1700 miles this week in the Denali lol. I saved a few extra things to my offline mode before losing service a bit so that when I went through the boondocks of northern Nevada to get from mammoth lakes, ca over to SLC, UT so I had plenty to watch and listen to over the course of three long travel days and plenty of areas of no coverage lol.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dustpan

Latest posts