2023 Yukon XL Windshield Wipers periodically stop working while driving

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gracieluker

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Was this issue ever resolved? I have had the issue with my 23 Tahoe 2 nights in a row. Turned rainsense off and it still happened. Luckily I was semi close to home the first night and second night it quit raining.

OP
OP
K

kjm_333

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Unfortunately No, never resolved. Two different dealerships looked at it and couldn’t find any faults. They tell me to bring it in when it happens but so far I haven’t been close enough to a dealership when it happens (and I really don’t want to be driving without wipers!). I had talked to GM Corporate but they’ve only told me to get a second opinion.
I got a chip in my windshield and had to get it replaced. The wiper issue stopped occurring for a while and I thought the windshield change fixed it. But two weeks ago it happened again.
I turn off Auto Stop every time I have my wipers on because there seems to be a link there.
Let me know if you have any luck getting it resolved. I’ll do the same. I stress every time it rains and I need the wipers. It so dangerous.

Dbl_j

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a 2023 GMC Yukon XL. I bought it brand new. I currently have 11K miles on it.

Periodically when I'm driving in the rain with my front windshield wipers on they totally stop working. I try every setting on the wiper dial (all intermittent settings and LO and HI) and they won't start working again. I will be driving at any speed up to 65 mph. They'll stay off for anywhere from 5-15 minutes and then just start working again. Everything else on that stem will continue working properly (all settings for rear wipers, turn signals, even the windshield wash button -- but no wipers).

This is clearly very dangerous and very bad. I've taken it to my GMC dealer, but they cannot find fault because it's not failing at the particular moment they are troubleshooting it. They've told me "too bad" which to me is ridiculous and they won't try swapping out parts to find a solution. I've escalated to GM Customer Service but so far they've only told me to seek a second opinion.

I have 2 questions:
1. Has anyone seen or heard of this before and have any recommendations on what could be wrong?
2. Does anyone have any advice on how to get better support from GM/GMC for something that is clearly a significant safety issue for a truck that is still under warranty?

I have a 2023 GMC Yukon XL. I bought it brand new. I currently have 11K miles on it.

Periodically when I'm driving in the rain with my front windshield wipers on they totally stop working. I try every setting on the wiper dial (all intermittent settings and LO and HI) and they won't start working again. I will be driving at any speed up to 65 mph. They'll stay off for anywhere from 5-15 minutes and then just start working again. Everything else on that stem will continue working properly (all settings for rear wipers, turn signals, even the windshield wash button -- but no wipers).

This is clearly very dangerous and very bad. I've taken it to my GMC dealer, but they cannot find fault because it's not failing at the particular moment they are troubleshooting it. They've told me "too bad" which to me is ridiculous and they won't try swapping out parts to find a solution. I've escalated to GM Customer Service but so far they've only told me to seek a second opinion.

I have 2 questions:
1. Has anyone seen or heard of this before and have any recommendations on what could be wrong?
2. Does anyone have any advice on how to get better support from GM/GMC for something that is clearly a significant safety issue for a truck that is still under warranty?
This exact thing happened to me tonight. 2023 Yukon Denali. It was nearly catastrophic. Pulled over, cut the vehicle on and off several times and nothing worked. Then about 10 minutes later they finally started working again.

Dbl_j

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Unfortunately No, never resolved. Two different dealerships looked at it and couldn’t find any faults. They tell me to bring it in when it happens but so far I haven’t been close enough to a dealership when it happens (and I really don’t want to be driving without wipers!). I had talked to GM Corporate but they’ve only told me to get a second opinion.
I got a chip in my windshield and had to get it replaced. The wiper issue stopped occurring for a while and I thought the windshield change fixed it. But two weeks ago it happened again.
I turn off Auto Stop every time I have my wipers on because there seems to be a link there.
Let me know if you have any luck getting it resolved. I’ll do the same. I stress every time it rains and I need the wipers. It so dangerous.
I called the local GM dealer and apparently it’s happened enough for GM to put out a service bulletin about it. The advisor said there may or may not be a recall come about soon. Until then, here is a copy of the bulletin

Attachments

• IMG_0587.jpeg
    IMG_0587.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 11
OP
OP
K

kjm_333

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I called the local GM dealer and apparently it’s happened enough for GM to put out a service bulletin about it. The advisor said there may or may not be a recall come about soon. Until then, here is a copy of the bulletin
I'm sorry this happened to you and glad that you're safe. However, I am relieved that it has happened to someone else and you've found a dealer who is willing to acknowledge it.

That bulletin seems odd -- "ensure rain sense mode is turned off at this time". For a new truck, rain sense mode should always function properly. I don't want to have to utilize work-arounds to make my wipers work.

What is your next step? Will the dealer actually do something about it, or did they tell you to bring it in the next time it happens?

StephenPT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm sorry this happened to you and glad that you're safe. However, I am relieved that it has happened to someone else and you've found a dealer who is willing to acknowledge it.

That bulletin seems odd -- "ensure rain sense mode is turned off at this time". For a new truck, rain sense mode should always function properly. I don't want to have to utilize work-arounds to make my wipers work.

What is your next step? Will the dealer actually do something about it, or did they tell you to bring it in the next time it happens?
This is an "Engineering Information" document - similar format to TSBs (Technical Service Bulletins), but the purpose of this document is to give the dealership techs a process to follow so they can gather information regarding an issue. The Engineer at GM is listed in the document and information from the field is sent directly to them. Once enough information is gathered to determine root cause, the request is "closed" and then a TSB or Recall will follow shortly after.

My guess is they are asking the dealership to turn off rain sensing to eliminate that variable. If they can duplicate the issue without that feature turned on, then it helps with the troubleshooting process.

I see they only listed '23 & '24. There must have been a change in the system starting in '23 for them to know it only affects those model years. As I mentioned earlier in this thread, my '22 has had the wipers stop in the middle of the glass twice. It doesn't last for more than maybe a second, but they definitely stop. After the first time, I turned off rain sensing thinking that might be the problem, but I've since had it happen once with that feature turned off. It sounds like the issue here with '23 and newer is that they quit working for 10+ minutes...

If you have this issue, I'd highly suggest getting a video of the issue. Show that no matter which position you put the wipers, they don't work. Show in the video the setting for rain sensing - the more information the better and hopefully GM can determine root cause ASAP.

OP
OP
K

kjm_333

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
This is an "Engineering Information" document - similar format to TSBs (Technical Service Bulletins), but the purpose of this document is to give the dealership techs a process to follow so they can gather information regarding an issue. The Engineer at GM is listed in the document and information from the field is sent directly to them. Once enough information is gathered to determine root cause, the request is "closed" and then a TSB or Recall will follow shortly after.

My guess is they are asking the dealership to turn off rain sensing to eliminate that variable. If they can duplicate the issue without that feature turned on, then it helps with the troubleshooting process.

I see they only listed '23 & '24. There must have been a change in the system starting in '23 for them to know it only affects those model years. As I mentioned earlier in this thread, my '22 has had the wipers stop in the middle of the glass twice. It doesn't last for more than maybe a second, but they definitely stop. After the first time, I turned off rain sensing thinking that might be the problem, but I've since had it happen once with that feature turned off. It sounds like the issue here with '23 and newer is that they quit working for 10+ minutes...

If you have this issue, I'd highly suggest getting a video of the issue. Show that no matter which position you put the wipers, they don't work. Show in the video the setting for rain sensing - the more information the better and hopefully GM can determine root cause ASAP.
Thank you for this explanation! It's very helpful and now I feel there may be a light at the end of the tunnel...

I have multiple videos already (the 2 dealers I took it to had no interest in me sending any videos to them) but never showing the status of rain sense. I'll turn rain sense off and will hit record if it happens again.

gwrtahoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
My 1999 Tahoe has the same problem, but I assume there is no sensor to turn the wipers on if it is raining. The wipers stop without warning and resume working usually in 5 to 10 minutes. It seems that I can hear a turning noise from the wiper area that could indicate the motor turning but not causing the wipers to turn.

Finch1408

TYF Newbie
Reaction score

I have 2 questions:
My 2023 Tahoe wipers did exactly like yours.

I have 2 questions:
Interestingly, I checked my wipers again after vehicle off for an hour. Started engine and still no wipers. Got pissed off and rolled/turned the front wiper switch on turn signal lever very quickly, really fast, and Bingo… started working in all settings. Will have to try it again next time they stop in the rain. Oh yeah, off topic, and if safety restraint warning comes on, reach up and press passenger light. Boom…warning goes away. Way too much neat crap in new vehicles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ajdahl8660