Intermittent tick starting, what you think from the sound?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Foggy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds fairly normal... Change your oil to be on the safe side in case you've
got a lifter on the edge...
These things also make a lot of fuel injector noise... I've noticed mine more since
my engine cover plastic deal is off

Steve Berg

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
09 LC9 182k, just started noticing a tick. Goes away pretty quick after warm up. What you say?

Chevrolet had a buletin regarding this tick on the 5.3. It is the pistons when cold and harmless to the engine, just anoying. Should stop within 2 minutes and from there everything is normal.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Chevrolet had a buletin regarding this tick on the 5.3. It is the pistons when cold and harmless to the engine, just anoying. Should stop within 2 minutes and from there everything is normal.
I don’t believe that’s the case here. The sound in the video has a frequency of 1/2 crankshaft rotation speed. Piston slap frequency is at crankshaft rotation speed.

easymoney

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Its very normal My 04 does the same thing…after about a minute it quietens down. I thought it was oil not at the lifters and once you run a minute its lubricated. I was going to try lucas oil stabilizer added to the oil and see if that helps but hadnt made it a priority. On cold days the noise is louder i have noticed that so exhaust bolt sounds possible too either way it doesnt sound serious

OP
OP
olliec420

olliec420

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds fine to me. Both of mine will have occasional startup ticks that come and go and that's not loud enough to indicate a problem at this point. Any chance you're missing any exhaust manifold studs on either side? The fact that it goes away as the engine warms up is a telltale sign of an exhaust leak masquerading almost perfectly as a lifter tick.
I looked under the hood today, it looks like the bolt head is missing between 6 & 8. Must be exhaust leak.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Luggz