Intermittent tick starting, what you think from the sound?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

olliec420

Full Access Member
Reaction score
09 LC9 182k, just started noticing a tick. Goes away pretty quick after warm up. What you say?

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd probably try to run some MMO or ATF for a few hundred miles and dump the oil. If you are due for and oil change, then do that and substitute 1 qt with either of the mentioned and see how it sounds. If it goes away when the oil thins out and flow increases, then you might have good luck with something that will dissolve varnish, etc.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
09 LC9 182k, just started noticing a tick. Goes away pretty quick after warm up. What you say?

Sounds fine to me. Both of mine will have occasional startup ticks that come and go and that's not loud enough to indicate a problem at this point. Any chance you're missing any exhaust manifold studs on either side? The fact that it goes away as the engine warms up is a telltale sign of an exhaust leak masquerading almost perfectly as a lifter tick.

OP
OP
olliec420

olliec420

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd probably try to run some MMO or ATF for a few hundred miles and dump the oil. If you are due for and oil change, then do that and substitute 1 qt with either of the mentioned and see how it sounds. If it goes away when the oil thins out and flow increases, then you might have good luck with something that will dissolve varnish, etc.
I'll consider that when I come up on next oil change thanks!

OP
OP
olliec420

olliec420

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds fine to me. Both of mine will have occasional startup ticks that come and go and that's not loud enough to indicate a problem at this point. Any chance you're missing any exhaust manifold studs on either side? The fact that it goes away as the engine warms up is a telltale sign of an exhaust leak masquerading almost perfectly as a lifter tick.
I had it in the transmission shop a few times this year... They jacked up the flange on the exhaust, maybe their manhandling could have caused something? I'll check the bolts next time I'm under there. TOO COLD IN FL THIS WEEK! brr

But lets say it is a lifter dying... I want to do the AFM delete and add some power (450-550 at crank ideally if possible without changing heads). But I don't want to get in to the bottom end. So, heads off, truck norris cam, new water pump, new oil pump, new lifters, new rockers, new pushrods?, new valve springs?, new head gaskets. Computer tune for performance and to disable AFM (don't know where to get this done properly). What am I missing or am I on the money?

Last edited:

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had it in the transmission shop a few times this year... They jacked up the flange on the exhaust, maybe their manhandling could have caused something? I'll check the bolts next time I'm under there. TOO COLD IN FL THIS WEEK! brr

But lets say it is a lifter dying... I want to do the AFM delete and add some power (450-550 at crank ideally if possible without changing heads). But I don't want to get in to the bottom end. So, heads off, truck norris cam, new water pump, new oil pump, new lifters, new rockers, new pushrods?, new valve springs?, new head gaskets. Computer tune for performance and to disable AFM (don't know where to get this done properly). What am I missing or am I on the money?
Post in thread '2012 Yukon XL Denali 6.2L Cam Swap Thread'
https://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/thr...nali-6-2l-cam-swap-thread.121671/post-1616690

Bon appetite!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
griffey_mojo