If you needed yet another reason to avoid drive-thru car washes...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AdamsPolishes

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just a quick backstory:

Had to run to the local home improvement store this past weekend. Stopped to get gas when I was leaving, and the station had one of the drive-thru washes that so many of them have. As I filled up and was driving away, I couldn't help but notice the somewhat startling condition of the brushes in the wash bay:

A3378432-CB91-46ED-9956-201FC3A6BD32_zpskiwrmxqv.jpg

Of course, the first thought that crossed my mind, and I'm sure the same as all of you, was "STAY AWAY!!!"

However, I have some prototype goods at home that need some testing. Because of this, I made a sacrifice for the greater good, and $8, much gnashing of teeth, and about 90 seconds of tears later, here is what my paint looked like in the bright sun later that day:

BBC0D6D4-8177-4293-906C-8C849E76C5F9_zps6tcgy1x2.jpg

And the following morning in different light:

07788A1C-7065-4357-BC8C-A823CC382A3A_zpsl5xrdpaz.jpg

B170AE9A-5FCF-4CF5-BD35-B52E9EB07039_zpspgeaxp8k.jpg

In the interest of full disclosure, my paint was not perfect before hand, but I'd say 95%+. Since the last correction, I've done 2 2-bucket washes and 3 Rinseless Washes on it. Being black, there was a light amount of wash damage that could be seen. However, the amount of damage that this single wash inflicted upon it was pretty shocking, wouldn't you agree?!?

GalaxyBlackEsky

BlackedoutLT3
Reaction score
When Winter comes go through touch less washes. Also look into Adams Rinseless wash. I use that during the winter great way to wash the car during winter in the garage.

OP
OP
AdamsPolishes

AdamsPolishes

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I try to wash mine by hand but when the winter comes i have no choice but the car wash.

Seek out the touchless versions. They use very acidic/harsh soap that will quickly strip wax/sealant, but they are a much better alternative that the one I went though.

I honestly have never seen a wash that dirty though

I'm not sure if it was truly filthy, or if the fibers were wore off the backing material. Either way, absolute hell on paint!

When Winter comes go through touch less washes. Also look into Adams Rinseless wash. I use that during the winter great way to wash the car during winter in the garage.

:cheers:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brian12019