I know you love your GM trucks but I like to bring my other problems here 2016 Chevy trax smoking

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Tonyv__

Tonyv__

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That car drove like it was naturally aspirated and way slow for the sounds of the motor working IMO. Addressing the oil problem first is what I would do which might include the turbocharger. I've had them fail on me before while racing.
So are you saying that seems to be normal behavior for a failed turbo?

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So are you saying that seems to be normal behavior for a failed turbo?
Well, I'm not there, just watching a video from my chair. What I can be sure of from here, the turbocharger wasn't working (making any boost). Now, is it because it failed or did the wastegate fail/stick open? Or with all these computer controls, is the oil problem causing the wastegate to stay open to preserve the motor?

OP
OP
Tonyv__

Tonyv__

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, I'm not there, just watching a video from my chair. What I can be sure of from here, the turbocharger wasn't working (making any boost). Now, is it because it failed or did the wastegate fail/stick open? Or with all these computer controls, is the oil problem causing the wastegate to stay open to preserve the motor?
Well I get that. I just want to hear “it’s not your transmission”. I don’t want to push my buddy to follow through with the turbo just to find out the trans is also bad… apparently this set up is super prone to turbo failure

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I get that. I just want to hear “it’s not your transmission”. I don’t want to push my buddy to follow through with the turbo just to find out the trans is also bad… apparently this set up is super prone to turbo failure
If the transmission is suspect, he might want to get an OBDII adapter and get an app that works with his phone and look at the slip of the converter and other transmission functions just to cover all the bases.

OP
OP
Tonyv__

Tonyv__

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If the transmission is suspect, he might want to get an OBDII adapter and get an app that works with his phone and look at the slip of the converter and other transmission functions just to cover all the bases.
He’s telling me that it all happened at the same time. The smoke started. Then loss of power. The car used to drive just fine before this…..

I know my post is all over the place and Idk if I’m not being clear here but I can’t get anyone to give me an answer about my thoughts on the trans.. I have no real reason to believe the transmission is failing. The only thing that raised a flag for me is that the rpm’s are hitting 4-6k and the car isn’t going. Is that normal for a car that isn’t boosting properly? I only think this because if a NA engine (my Yukon for example) hit 5k rpm’s and wasn’t accelerating quickly. I’d assume trans right? So what exactly is happened in in a turbo engine that isn’t getting enough boost?

I don’t mean to come off as rude either. I’m trying to learn myself something here

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
He’s telling me that it all happened at the same time. The smoke started. Then loss of power. The car used to drive just fine before this…..

I know my post is all over the place and Idk if I’m not being clear here but I can’t get anyone to give me an answer about my thoughts on the trans.. I have no real reason to believe the transmission is failing. The only thing that raised a flag for me is that the rpm’s are hitting 4-6k and the car isn’t going. Is that normal for a car that isn’t boosting properly? I only think this because if a NA engine (my Yukon for example) hit 5k rpm’s and wasn’t accelerating quickly. I’d assume trans right? So what exactly is happened in in a turbo engine that isn’t getting enough boost?

I don’t mean to come off as rude either. I’m trying to learn myself something here
Think of it this way, that little engine by itself puts out X amount of power. With a turbo it put outs X plus 50 or more. My old Buicks, the engines made 110 horsepower or so and with a turbo they made 245. So with a bad turbo, all I had was a 110 horse motor and you had to really goose it to get all those ponies to the ground.

I don't know the subject car at all, but that's what it seems like to me in the video.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score

depends on what gear it is in or sitting in, I mean you should be able to feel it slipping if it is or if it is simply staying in say 2nd gear and just revving sky high, have you tried shifting it manually while slowly accelerating, you should be able to get it up to say 3rd or 4th gear then give it some gas and see it if just revs up or not in the same gear.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick3645