I know you love your GM trucks but I like to bring my other problems here 2016 Chevy trax smoking

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
U know what. Someone else said possible diesel as well but there is massive amounts of oil in the intake pipe so I’m inclined to think it’s oil smoke… but I have no sampled the gas. I’ll have to check that

Would a gas engine run on diesel?
it would run on diesel/gas mix but it would smoke like hell

OP
OP
Tonyv__

Tonyv__

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I took the car for a spin tonight. I’m very new to turbo engines so I’m thrown off by this. I took it for a spin down some side streets. Under 20mph it drove fine. Hit the main road and punched it. Got some turbo lag ( I think). Rpm’s shot up. But the car barely goes. Now I’m confused? Is the transmission going out also or is that normal for a car with a bad turbo? I’ll attach a video. Also when I got back to the garage. The intake tube is puking out oil again. And the idle has gone back to total sh*t. Assuming the oil has something to do with that. The CEL is a turbo underboost code. So I definitely think the turbo is shot but now I’m concerned the trans might be slipping as well? If that’s the case this thing might be trash

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I took the car for a spin tonight. I’m very new to turbo engines so I’m thrown off by this. I took it for a spin down some side streets. Under 20mph it drove fine. Hit the main road and punched it. Got some turbo lag ( I think). Rpm’s shot up. But the car barely goes. Now I’m confused? Is the transmission going out also or is that normal for a car with a bad turbo? I’ll attach a video. Also when I got back to the garage. The intake tube is puking out oil again. And the idle has gone back to total sh*t. Assuming the oil has something to do with that. The CEL is a turbo underboost code. So I definitely think the turbo is shot but now I’m concerned the trans might be slipping as well? If that’s the case this thing might be trash

I don't know but that took a awful longtime to go from 20-60

OP
OP
Tonyv__

Tonyv__

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't know but that took a awful longtime to go from 20-60
Way too long. If it was a NA engine id definitely say trans. But I’ve also never driven it before today. So I don’t even know if this guy has been driving with a bad trans.. I find it hard to believe the pcv, turbo and now trans all went at the same time

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Bill 1960

Testing the Limits
Reaction score
Do you know if the turbo was producing any boost on that drive? No boost; no power, and worse than NA if the thing is locked up. That is probably the cause of high revs and lack of acceleration.

OP
OP
Tonyv__

Tonyv__

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you know if the turbo was producing any boost on that drive? No boost; no power, and worse than NA if the thing is locked up. That is probably the cause of high revs and lack of acceleration.
There’s no boost gauge on the car. And that code at the end of the drive was an underboost code so it’s likely the turbo is not producing or the blowoff valve is shot. But it’s all in 1 unit….

What I’m mostly confused about is what is the transmission doing? Like with high rpm’s why isn’t rhe torque converter telling the trans to go? Is the ecm telling the trans to hold off the engine isn’t getting sufficient power?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeC

Latest posts