I know you love your GM trucks but I like to bring my other problems here 2016 Chevy trax smoking

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tonyv__

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone work on these cr@p 1.4 ecotecs that Chevy put out?

Helping a friend out (who has zero knowledge of cars). It’s a 2016 Chevy trax with 75k miles. He says he filled up the gas tank then left the gas station. Next thing he knows it’s blowing smoke out the exhaust and loss of power. Drives it home. Then tries to drive it to my house a couple weeks after sitting. Doesn’t make it. Starts smoking about 5 mins into the drive and loses power. Leaves it for a few days then tries to drive it again. Can’t even get it out of the parking lot without stalling. Finally has it towed to my house..

I replaced the entire pcv system. Because apparently they’re prone to failure and I was able to diagnose that the valve cover was definitely bad.. Cleaned the oil out of the intake tubes, intercooler , but haven’t removed the turbo. Oil was pitch black.. Put it all back together. Changed the oil. The idle is smooth. Doesn’t stall. But still smoking. Trying to figure out if it’s residual oil burning or If the turbo is spitting oil….

I haven’t put the car on the road yet. Just idled and revved the engine.

Anyone have any tips for diagnosing the turbo?

I have done compression test, cylinders seem healthy

Last edited:

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
How's the fuel? We keep reading about stations mistakenly having diesel put in the underground gas tanks. Sampled it?

OP
OP
Tonyv__

Tonyv__

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How's the fuel? We keep reading about stations mistakenly having diesel put in the underground gas tanks. Sampled it?
U know what. Someone else said possible diesel as well but there is massive amounts of oil in the intake pipe so I’m inclined to think it’s oil smoke… but I have no sampled the gas. I’ll have to check that

Would a gas engine run on diesel?

TollKeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Those engines were known for massive turbo failure. Thats where I would be looking.

Engine Oil Leaks

If there is a low engine oil level, excessive oil consumption, oil leaking into the induction or exhaust system, excessive oil in the PCV bypass hose, or excessive smoke or oil leaking at the tail pipe, verify the proper engine oil level and perform an inspection of the entire engine, checking for any aftermarket devices or custom modifications.

In addition, remove the turbocharger rubber outside air inlet duct — there will be normal oil staining in the turbocharger outside air inlet (Fig. 5) — and inspect the inlet tube for oil leaking into the opening of the turbocharger bore for the PCV bypass hose. Also check the turbocharger oil feed and return pipe for leaks, restrictions or damage.

F05-turbo-air-inlet.png

Fig. 5

Inspect the exhaust system for the presence of oil as well. If oil is present, there may be a broken turbocharger turbine or compressor wheel. It is very unlikely that the turbocharger will leak oil internally if the turbine and compressor wheel shaft is not broken.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Tonyv__

Tonyv__

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@TollKeeper The whole intake was flooded. I just assumed the pcv sent that oil throughout the system. (From what I read on other forums). At this point I might just throw a cheapy turbo on there for the hell of it… I’d go GM but apparently they aren’t reliable enough to make it past 70k miles

Also it was definitely low on oil but I couldn’t tell you the last time maintenance was done on this car. I’m going in blind

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
U know what. Someone else said possible diesel as well but there is massive amounts of oil in the intake pipe so I’m inclined to think it’s oil smoke… but I have no sampled the gas. I’ll have to check that

Would a gas engine run on diesel?

Not for long.

OP
OP
Tonyv__

Tonyv__

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Off the cuff I would think turbo failure.
Kind of thinking the same. There was a ton of oil. Apparently with pcv failure the car will still run just kind of crappy at times. So maybe his pcv has been bad for a while and now the turbo ate sh*t. It’s cheap enough to just replace at this point. I might just go for it