High Mileage Invest Money Or Not?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
A

Aeterna

Reaction score
3-4 k is about 6 months of payments on a new suv.....with 66 more to go...

you will get better use from the shop fixing all those yhings at once. Find a good shop that knows what they are doing and pay a little more.

Thanks, the place I am using has been around for many years and has great reviews. Once I get a quote for all the work i will see about uploading it here.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Thanks, the place I am using has been around for many years and has great reviews. Once I get a quote for all the work i will see about uploading it here.

Please do and if they give you more estimates for anything not on your list, please list the reasons "why" the shop says these items are needed. Not just because they are "bad".

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Out here in the PNW we don't have to deal with rust so we can see an advantage for keeping up the older rig as long as it meets our needs.

HACK BLOCK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
it wouldn't be that bad to invest the money into our trucks simply because they last. it's not unheard of to have a truck in to 200k+ mile range it's almost normal lol

vendo

Reaction score
I just bought a 95 tahoe 2 dr from fla,lot of work was already done on this,174k miles on it..i like the 2 dr models..new trucks cost way to much for me...keep the old ones going is a lot cheaper..unless you have tons of money..

pcwizard2600

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Been there, done that. I live in a rust state, and the only reason I got rid of that last two vehicles were due to the rust. '01 Silverado and '02 Avalanche, both with over 260k on them and they ran like new still. However when the frame rusts or other parts that make it almost unrepairable, then it is time to let go. New and even later model used are priced so ridiculously high that I personally cannot justify the payments.

Linderov

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I'm at 216K in my "02 so I think i crossed that bridge! As others said, the big question is if you like it. There are kits and aftermarket stuff that make it easy to fix these vehicles. And mine is still fun and easy to drive. And looks good because wax is cheap!

Downsides: I found sometimes there's days (3 weeks while my husband replaced ALL the brake lines) when it's being repaired. For me, that's not a problem as I have another car.

I find repairs can happen in clusters. Some people will say that's a sign- "its toast will just break down all the time now"- but that's not true. I have clusters of issues followed by months and years of relative peace.

Also, even the best repair shop will make a mistake: bad part, poor install. I had to accept that my Dealer whiffed on a differential replacement. Such things happen.

If, like me, you're pleased as punch to show off your truck to your friends and talk about all the trips and jobs you did with it, you may as well fix it. These trucks will go 300K, just check whats for sale out there.

Also now is a bad time to buy a new truck. Sales are down but prices are up. Wait for gas prices to spike or electric trucks come out to compete with the ICEs, to bring prices down.

SUP SR

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
3-4 k is about 6 months of payments on a new suv.....with 66 more to go...

you will get better use from the shop fixing all those yhings at once. Find a good shop that knows what they are doing and pay a little more.

SUP SR

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have made the decision to keep repairing my 2002 Z71 Tahoe with over 260k miles. Even if someday I need to replace the engine, it still makes sense vs the cost of even a late model used Tahoe. I have owned it since new and it still runs like new. Have replaced the transmission, water pump, alternator, front wheel bearings, tie rods, upper and lower ball joints. Added a TruCool 40k transmission cooler and Airaid air intake. Lifted the front 2" using Rough Country keys. Rebuilt the driver's seat, changed all interior lights to LEDs. Replaced the knock sensors by bolting the new ones to the outside of the engine (instead of below the intake manifold).Swapped the instrument cluster with a 2001 GMC Yukon's with a transmission temp guage.

BTW, I tow a 6,000 boat just fine.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
caprajohn