High Mileage Invest Money Or Not?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I replaced the cam and lifters and front differential on my ‘07 Yukon Denali at 272K and don’t regret doing it at all. I had also replaced the transfer case at 260K. What I do regret is trading it in at 300K instead of putting a little more money into it and taking care of some front end stuff.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Im not really wanting something else, I love this Tahoe ive taken it all over the country. Just trying to gauge is others have regretted dumping money into their high mileage rides.

201K miles here. Recently invested into the engine with AFM delete, performance cam, mild head work, etc. Left the rotating assembly alone, bearings and all. No qualms and I'd cruise it anywhere at a moment's notice. As Ron said, knowing the history goes a long way. I know of "only" the past 54K miles, but, at this point, I've been inside every major system except for the trans and it's never even hiccuped.

Buying another used car likely means buying someone else's problems. People don't often sell "good" cars just because. They sell them because it has or is starting to have problems that they don't wanna deal with, so they unload it before they occur or get too serious (read: "expensive"). Those will then be your inherited problems.

Last edited:

avalonandl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Where do I find the paint code on my Denali. Its in the garage and I might touch up some rust spots since its raining for two days.

OP
OP
A

Aeterna

Reaction score
I dropped my Tahoe off this past Tuesday and should have it back next Tuesday. Below is what all is getting done and the price.

-Oil Pan Gasket
-Oil Pickup Tube oring
-Oil Cooler Plate seal
-Both Front Axle Seals
-Front Pinion Seal
-new rack and pinion
-greased all the front grease fittings
-Front Driveshaft Ujoints
-Rear Driveshaft Ujoints
-Both exhaust manifold gaskets (removed two busted bolts and replaced all bolts)
-Installed transmission cooler (with bracket not those zip tie things)
-Installed magnaflow 18" muffler (excited about this)

$4400 (give or take a little depending on muffler and tranny cooler bracket work)

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I dropped my Tahoe off this past Tuesday and should have it back next Tuesday. Below is what all is getting done and the price.

-Oil Pan Gasket
-Oil Pickup Tube oring
-Oil Cooler Plate seal
-Both Front Axle Seals
-Front Pinion Seal
-new rack and pinion
-greased all the front grease fittings
-Front Driveshaft Ujoints
-Rear Driveshaft Ujoints
-Both exhaust manifold gaskets (removed two busted bolts and replaced all bolts)
-Installed transmission cooler (with bracket not those zip tie things)
-Installed magnaflow 18" muffler (excited about this)

$4400 (give or take a little depending on muffler and tranny cooler bracket work)

WOW!!!!! Can you do mine too? :)

Really interested in how your muffler turns out, please post up a video when you can. Are you having the resonator removed too?

OP
OP
A

Aeterna

Reaction score
If only I could! Nah they are just cutting out the stock muffler and flaring some fresh pipe to flange this new muffler in. At least thats my understanding.

Ill get a vid once I have it back, if memory serves it takes about 1k miles to “break in” a new muffler so i will see if I can get a before and after.

the only thing I think will still need to be done is the lower ball joints probably a year or so from now. Other than that I have my fingers crossed for another 75-100k out of the old girl.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ron505