High Mileage Invest Money Or Not?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Aeterna

Reaction score
I have a 2007 Tahoe Z71 4x4 with 185k miles. Its rough around the edges but everything works. Ive put 20k miles on it in the last year so it is still reliable and runs fine

my question is, I am debating on putting 3-4k into it to get some of these items fixed or do I just let it keep leaking/slowly breaking down. Or, do I sell it and get something else. I imagine some of you have crossed this bridge at one time or another and curious if you regretted investing the money or vice versa.

current issues:
-oil pan leak
-rear main cover leak (i think)
-front diff leaks out of both axles
-exhaust manifold small leak (both sides)
-Rack and Pinion Leak and worn mounting bushing
-driver seat front tilt doesnt work (might not fix)

Additional Items I would like to have done:
-install magnaflow 18” muffler
-Install transmission cooler (going to tow boat and toys)
-maybe install new driver seat with heat and cooling not sure the cost
-replace ujoints as I think they are still factory.

Parts I have already replaced:
-rotors all around
-both front wheel hubs
-both front cv axles
-both tie rod ends
-driver motor mount
-master cylinder
-valve cover gasket passenger
-valve cover (new design) driver side
-passenger brake caliper
-windshield
-belts
-plugs
-both front upper control arms
-front struts
-rear shocks
-headunit with apple carplay
-fresh ac recharge
-battery

Derick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's a tough call. I've been pondering over big expenditures myself. A lot of the guys here will talk about payments, and blah blah blah its cheaper to spend more now than have a payment. But at the end of the day you still have a 10+ year old car. While the parts you just fixed are going to be good for awhile, your motor may gernade, and thats another 5k. So I really dont know what the right answer is. I've got mine listed, if it sells, it sells. If it doesnt, I'm daily driving it, so whatever on that I guess. You definitely have some doozy repairs there, so I'm curious to see what you decide on. If you/someone is getting in there for an oil pan gasket replacement, have the oil pump pickup tube oring replace at the same time.

OP
OP
A

Aeterna

Reaction score
Thanks for the tip on the Oring.

the argument for selling would be to get something else. But to do that and not be on the hook for repairs would be to get something that still has quite a bit of warranty left. A comparable vehicle like that is 10 times as much as the repairs im looking at. So its an interesting argument.

just wondered how others have faired if they crossed the bridge.

79jasper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would say depends, are you doing the work yourself? Or having a shop do it? Save a ton of money doing it yourself.
Buying newer doesn't guarantee you won't have repairs shortly either.
We choose paying cash for a higher mileage older model to save money in the long run. Sure beats having a car payment, if/when any repairs do come up.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

OP
OP
A

Aeterna

Reaction score
Most of the work I listed as already done is stuff I did, but fixing the leaks I am going to pay a shop to do. I dont want to invest all that time and then turn around and it still leak. Would rather pay for it and have a little warranty in case they did a shotty job.

but yeah that is the argument, car payment vs invest a few grand to keep what I currently have healthy.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Other thing to consider is you have a used vehicle and know all about it. You buy another used rig you have to start figuring it all out as to what it needs and deal with that. Buy new and spend a lot of money and have the payments unless you can pay up front. If the one you have suits your needs, it may be the best course but if you just want something else, well that is your call.

Some of your additional items are just because you want them but not needed for the rig to stay on the road.

OP
OP
A

Aeterna

Reaction score
Im not really wanting something else, I love this Tahoe ive taken it all over the country. Just trying to gauge is others have regretted dumping money into their high mileage rides.

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd fix it and keep it.

On the front seat tilt, if you hear the motor trying to move but it doesn't, it may just be a jammed corkscrew. Pop the seat cushion up and use a grab wrench to pop it loose and lube it back up and run it up and down through it's full range. Do the same for the rear tilt and forward/reverse travel screws while you are in there. I had both my tilt motors do this and fixed them.

OP
OP
A

Aeterna

Reaction score
I'd fix it and keep it.

On the front seat tilt, if you hear the motor trying to move but it doesn't, it may just be a jammed corkscrew. Pop the seat cushion up and use a grab wrench to pop it loose and lube it back up and run it up and down through it's full range. Do the same for the rear tilt and forward/reverse travel screws while you are in there. I had both my tilt motors do this and fixed them.

Badass ill give that a shot! The motor makes noise just clicks but nothing happens. Ill dig into that soon thanks. Is there any special grease I should use?

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Badass ill give that a shot! The motor makes noise just clicks but nothing happens. Ill dig into that soon thanks. Is there any special grease I should use?

I just used sparing amounts of syl glyde. Also a good time to have a shop vac handy to clean up under there. Especially if you have an ass blown seat cushion like I did.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ppv2018