HID retrofit w/TSX projectors: walkthrough w/pictures

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
DenaliAK

DenaliAK

Colder than you
Reaction score
Okay, cool. I have no idea what that 71mm is measuring, though. D1 probably means they use D1S or D1R bulbs. Keep me updated! I'd like to see the projectors out of the housing. That's the next question, too. Are you going to be able to get them out?

Are you doing this for sure or just looking at the possibility?

Oh, I'm headed out of town for the weekend for business, so if I don't immediately respond it just means I'm busy. Hotel has internet, though, so I'll more likely then not be checking in.

vatahoelt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ultimately I would like to do the retro fit. Just hoping that its doable with these projectors, since I got them for free.:) Now if I could basically have BMW lights with the halos in my depo housings that would be awesome.

OP
OP
DenaliAK

DenaliAK

Colder than you
Reaction score
The 71mm may refer to the lens diameter. Wish I could see the projectors in person. At least then I could probably tell you if they would fit or not.

vatahoelt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll get pics of everything tonight. I think the 71mm does translate to the size somehow.

kses123

kses123
Reaction score
They are either Bosch Bi-Xenons or ZKW's if the headlight is from a 3 series. Hopefully Bosch. The ZKW's would be a pain to retrofit.

If it's not from a 3 series, it will be Hella E55 projector.

vatahoelt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Would the zkw's say xenon on them I wonder?

---------- Post added at 06:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:26 PM ----------

here are some pics of them.

IMAG0033.jpg
IMAG0034.jpg
IMAG0035.jpg

OP
OP
DenaliAK

DenaliAK

Colder than you
Reaction score
Hmm.

Well, they are HID for sure. Hard to say what exact projector, but they are probably Bosch. D1S bulbs. Sorry it took this long for me to look back at this thread. I'll look around a bit and see if I can find some sizes to see what you're working with. Let me know if you've already figured things out so I don't get redundant.

After looking around, I didn't find much out. Are they bi-xenon? D1S projectors are a little more difficult to retrofit, because the bulbs have attached ignitors and you can't swap D2S bulbs in. They may prove to be too bulky on the inside end to fit in your headlights.

Last edited:

vatahoelt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i haven't had a chance to actually take a look to see what all there was yet.

reuling

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Anyone done the tsx projectors on an 00-06 tahoe?? think the projector would fit?? Looks like the housings might be too small..

OP
OP
DenaliAK

DenaliAK

Colder than you
Reaction score
Yeah, I don't have a Tahoe but the TSX's barely fit the Denali headlights, at least without having to completely tear apart and custom fab the mounting brackets. I had to shave mine down a little bit to fit the bigger projector bowl in there. Just don't know if you'd have the clearance.

As it was it basically didn't fit from the added depth. I had to heat and mold the washer fluid reservoir around the ignition end of the bulb to fit it in.

I will say if it does work, the end result will kick ass, though. I absolutely love my headlights now, and often find myself wanting to drive in the dark for no apparent reason.

;)

Summer's in Alaska suck for that, though. It's light or partly light all the time....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
patrickleeleep