HID retrofit w/TSX projectors: walkthrough w/pictures

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

vatahoelt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have now seen the Mini Morimoto in a retro, and they look amazing. I was blown away, especially considering their size. They are tiny, bi-xenon, and could fit into almost any application.

If I had to do it over again, I would use these instead of the TSX's. They are small enough I might even run quad projectors, since they are bi-xenon. That would be badass. You might even be able to squeeze them into the DRL's with a little modification.....

Check 'em out:

http://www.theretrofitsource.com/product_info.php?products_id=221

i finally took one of those bmw headlights apart and i don't think i'm going to be able to retro them into my depos. they are the bi-xenon projectors and look to be a little too long to fit.

these are the ones.

http://www.theretrofitsource.com/product_info.php?cPath=25&products_id=92

OP
OP
DenaliAK

DenaliAK

Colder than you
Reaction score
Depth-wise they all seem a bit big. Part of that is made up for when you seat them in the housings, but I definitely don't have any wiggle room on the driver's side at all.

Those Mini's with the D2S bulbs are something like 3/4" shorter, so they might be worth a shot.

chip

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have now seen the Mini Morimoto in a retro, and they look amazing. I was blown away, especially considering their size. They are tiny, bi-xenon, and could fit into almost any application.

If I had to do it over again, I would use these instead of the TSX's. They are small enough I might even run quad projectors, since they are bi-xenon. That would be badass. You might even be able to squeeze them into the DRL's with a little modification.....

Check 'em out:

http://www.theretrofitsource.com/product_info.php?products_id=221

This is an Awesome find!

Thanks so much!

OP
OP
DenaliAK

DenaliAK

Colder than you
Reaction score
Did some comparison shots last night with some friends. Everyone had different HID/projector combos, so we thought it'd be interesting. All the pics are taken with the exact same camera settings and location, and we tried to get the cars in the same spot.

Brand-new Mini-Morimoto lows:

DSC05758.jpg

Mini-Morimoto highs, which is where these really shine (these are 35w, btw):

DSC05760.jpg

PNP kit, same kind of car:

DSC05773.jpg

My TSX retros with 55w 4300k HID's:

DSC05762.jpg

FXR projectors, low-beam:

DSC05776.jpg

FXR highs:

DSC05780.jpg

It was interesting to see the differences. The TSX is by far the widest spread of the bunch...it wouldn't even all fit in the frame. The downside is that they are not bi-xenon, so there is no "high" option.

The Mini-Morimotos, for their size are pretty amazing lights. Good, sharp cutoff. Not nearly as wide a beam, which may be their only downside. High-beams with them are amazing.

The FXR's are a more even light on lows all the way across, with not quite as dramatic a cutoff. They are also incredibly bright on high-beams, but have a bizarre bright spot in the middle that is apparently normal for them.

The effort here isn't to say one is better than another, but to give an idea of the differences so you will be more informed about what you might want to get. I love my TSX lows, but man I wish they were bi-xenon....

1fatho

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ran into the same thing with my HIDs and projectors that I got, didnt realize if was going to be different. For mine I'm going to use the HIDguy 35w 6k's which I have in my stock right now. I think Im going to remove the electrical from the projector, throw a rubber gasket inbetween, drill out the middle to fit the bulb and grind down that 50% "blocking" piece that goes on the bottom. If my HIDs fit in my running lights, I'm just going to throw them down there and run LED heads, if of course, I can find an LED to fit in there. I will end up putting HIDs in my projector, but if they fit the bumper, I think the stock that they came with will suffice until the semester is over. F'ing homowork....I'll post pics this weekend...if of course TYF is working for me...

EDIT* nice pics from the fish factory.......er um, the cult parking lot.....im mean uh, changepoint ^^^^^

You wouldnt be interested in some festoon bulbs would you? I got some of the cool blues for my puddle lights and I want to go green like my interior, they cost me like 15 each plus shipping, id give them both to you for $15 after I get my greens in. theyre like a month old.

Last edited:
OP
OP
DenaliAK

DenaliAK

Colder than you
Reaction score
I'll pass on the festoons for now. Money is tight and I'm trying not to spend more than necessary on vehicle stuff. And I have an HID backup light and fog HID projector projects to finish up once PFD's get here. We'll see how much that ends up costing me. I need some new bulbs in my lows, too.

01Konvict

Boats n Hoes
Reaction score
Is it easier to retro a stock cleared Yukon headlight or the Denali headlight? I think I will end up getting Morimoto Minis, just need to know which headlight is easier to complete the retrofit.

OP
OP
DenaliAK

DenaliAK

Colder than you
Reaction score
Good question, and unfortunately it probably all depends on what projector you are putting in what housing. The TSX fit right in where the DEPO projector was on mine, so there was minimal trimming or cutting to be done. I would think that would hold true for most retros, but honestly haven't had any experience with the standard Yukon housings.

01Konvict

Boats n Hoes
Reaction score
I know the Morimoto Minis are smaller then the TSX, so I wonder how they would work with the Depo headlights. Maybe a complete install into a base headlight would be fun but you would lose the easy cut-off rotation adjustment. I would like to get some new headlight but dont want to sink a fortune into them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
navyboy14094