HID retrofit w/TSX projectors: walkthrough w/pictures

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

soulsea

Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know bud, but it is his site after all. :)
I also know his stuff is great and I've used it on my own retro after communicating with him at length.
No my question is really more based on curiosity and trying to figure things out ... so if there is a an oem GM ballast it would be nice to know of it for future reference and consideration.

---------- Post added at 12:40 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:37 AM ----------

This is the one Camaros and other GM vehicles use in 2011 models that I've seen before: http://cgi.ebay.com/1-Cadillac-08-0...wItem&item=170681162261&vxp=mtr#ht_1563wt_925

soulsea

Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It (number 9) looks like it mounts in the back of the housing:

CD10025.gif

Last edited:

soulsea

Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It also looks like it's 35W:

a20791e12ca81e633dc44_m.JPG

OP
OP
DenaliAK

DenaliAK

Colder than you
Reaction score
Aahh. It's a Matsushita. Very common OEM ballast maker. Japanese...on Infiniti, Subaru, Nissan to name a few. Not that exact ballast, but still. Matsushita are top-notch. It's what I have for my TSX's in the 35w incarnation (currently running 50w).

1fatho

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I will upload pics this weekend, as they're on my moms camera because I did it in her garage, but I modded my halo projectors from HID guy http://www.hidguy.net/Chevrolet/Sil...ctor-Headlights-Black?cPath=730_743_1079_1080 to fit the 6ks that I had ordered and received about a week prior. What I did (very crudely, as the pics will demomstrate) was drill out that "part 8" and ground (edit* grinded?) down the horizontal diffusion plate (or whatever), placed the bulbs in there and bent the little bulb holder a bit and they fit right in.

There were a few problems I can forsee with doing this, but 2 weeks in, I've had no issues. Im f'ing slammed with homework, but I will thread it up this weekend.

soulsea

Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
To be fair, Matt is a pretty standup guy. Yes the HIDP forum belongs to him and heavily promotes his site, but he also allows competing vendors.

We spoke several times during my retrofit and his philosophy seems to be that the more the retro community grows, even if it is through other means that TRS, the better it is down the line for his business.

He was very happy to help and clearly stated that he would continue to do so whether I bought my stuff from him or from customlightz.

So yeah, a little cynicism is always appropriate, but in my observation there is still a lot of unbiased information available there ... not always accurate, but unbiased nonetheless. :)

OP
OP
DenaliAK

DenaliAK

Colder than you
Reaction score
I got some new D2S bulbs for my TSX's. 4300k Morimoto 5fives since I'm running 55w ballasts. They really do maintain the 4300k color well, and there is still some pretty kick ass flicker effect. Interesting color band, now, too. The usual blue/purple but also have some pinkish color. Gives it a bit of a rainbow look. I kind of like it. I'll try to get some new output shots soon.

01Konvict

Boats n Hoes
Reaction score
So what would be a better projector to retrofit into denali headlights, Morimoto Mini H1s or Mini D2S or FX-Rs? I was driving last night and the stock beams suck bad with any fog or light rain so I will be upgrading very soon.

OP
OP
DenaliAK

DenaliAK

Colder than you
Reaction score
So what would be a better projector to retrofit into denali headlights, Morimoto Mini H1s or Mini D2S or FX-Rs? I was driving last night and the stock beams suck bad with any fog or light rain so I will be upgrading very soon.

That's a tough call, honestly. The MH1's are very good for their size and easy to retro. They are basically designed to be as universally easy to retro as possible with the best performance. You can't really go wrong with them. If I could do it all over, I'd probably do a quad mini H1 setup, but that would take some extra work....lol.

FX-R's are very good, a bit bigger, but outstanding bi-xenon performers.

I just can't really tell you to lean one way or the other here. I think either would work great, but for ease of installation (and this is just from what I've heard since I haven't used them) I'd probably get the Mini H1's.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sleeeper