HID retrofit w/TSX projectors: walkthrough w/pictures

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
DenaliAK

DenaliAK

Colder than you
Reaction score
How much is too much for you? All told mine were about $500 for all the parts, but you could knock that down to about $300 by getting DDM HID kits instead of the expensive OEM ones that I got.

The headlights I just saw recently for about $130/pair.
DDM Tuning HID kit: $45
Mini Morimotos: $110

Then it's mostly time to do the retro.

01Konvict

Boats n Hoes
Reaction score
Well I was thinking about the chrome depos and not the black so they run around $300 and OEM cost around $300 also. Then the Mini and PnP kit cost another $300. So I was trying to stay under $500 with all parts. I think it can be done and you will get a high beam with the minis! What is a better headlight to start with, Depo or OEM denali?

OP
OP
DenaliAK

DenaliAK

Colder than you
Reaction score
Well I was thinking about the chrome depos and not the black so they run around $300 and OEM cost around $300 also. Then the Mini and PnP kit cost another $300. So I was trying to stay under $500 with all parts. I think it can be done and you will get a high beam with the minis! What is a better headlight to start with, Depo or OEM denali?

As far as which light is better to retro, that's a good question. It's been discussed before with no clear winner. Typically the DEPO's are cheaper to start with than the OEM ones. I don't know where you are getting a pair of OEM Denali lights for $300, but that's a great deal. Usually each one is that much. Anyway, given that they are usually cheaper, I recommend the DEPO's for that reason, plus if you totally screw something up it is then cheaper to replace again...lol.

Bottom line is I think they would both work about the same, so go with what fits your budget/style the best.

01Konvict

Boats n Hoes
Reaction score
I have the Morimoto Minis in my 04 Denali, with the high beam solenoid tapped into my high beams for quad high beams. It was a tight fit and i had to cut the aftermarket reflectors i purchased to make projectors sit further back. After a few night road trips from San Jose to Las Vegas, I must say that the bright light in the foreground worsens your night vision because your eyes tend to focus in front of the truck where the brightest spot is.

Can you post pics of the Mini retrofit? I was thinking about going with this setup. I would like to see how it was fitted and installed.

TmadeEdition

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Nice retro lights. Come check mines out. Not done yet have some pics up in my album. Fx-r projectors custom retrofit in 07 Denali

Last edited:
OP
OP
DenaliAK

DenaliAK

Colder than you
Reaction score
Nice retro lights. Come check mines out. Not done yet have some pics up in my album. Fx-r projectors custom retrofit in 07 Denali

Looks good.

Get some output shots when you're done installing them.

Very clean work.

soulsea

Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey Scott ... there's something I've been meaning to ask you for a while ...

It seems that everyone these days recommends oem ballasts. The reason to a certain degree still escapes me as most oem ballasts wont fit the applications folks' are using them for as they usually mount them outside their retroed housings as opposed to inside where most oem ballast belong, thus exposing them to elements they are not designed to handle.

That said, I'm wondering what the oem ballast was that GM used for their original nbs denali projectors?

Cheers. :)

OP
OP
DenaliAK

DenaliAK

Colder than you
Reaction score
OEM ballasts aren't necessarily internally mounted. They tend to be built like tanks, able to take all manner of weather. They also are built to last. I've yet to hear of an OEM ballast failure. I'm sure they happen, but it must be pretty rare.

To the best of my knowledge, Denali's have never had HID's. They've had halogen projectors, which may be what you're thinking of, but no need for ballasts with those.

soulsea

Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
OP
OP
DenaliAK

DenaliAK

Colder than you
Reaction score
Good question. I have no idea what ballasts the GM family uses. There are some HID's in there, too. Not a lot, but more and more. I'll do some research and see if I can't find out.

Not sure what that thing in the link is, either. It could be a ballast, kinda hard to tell. Cracks me up that the seller doesn't even know what it is, but they know how much they want for whatever it is....lol.

There's 3 or 4 brands of ballasts that you really can't go wrong with. If you're looking for recommendations, just stick with what TRS has....Matt knows the quality stuff. His client base confirms that, too. Pretty much all of HIDplanet uses him as their source.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juju14