Hellwig vs Hotchkis sway bars and how hard to install

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
My set was delayed for the same thing back around the holidays last year. It is worth the wait IMO.

rdhogg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bummer! The rear Hellwig doesn't seem to be available anywhere. Even on their website- they say it's a special order with a delivery time of 8-12 weeks.
Have you tried sdtrucksprings.com

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Get the Hellwig. I had the Eibach bars on my 2008 which made a big difference over stock and then I changed from the Eibach to the Hellwig which made another big difference. I couldn't believe how much better it felt since the bars are the same size just the Eibach are hollow and the Hellwig are solid. I did think the Eibach were a little bit better quality but I would still go with the Hellwig because the performance is much better.

rdhogg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Get the Hellwig. I had the Eibach bars on my 2008 which made a big difference over stock and then I changed from the Eibach to the Hellwig which made another big difference. I couldn't believe how much better it felt since the bars are the same size just the Eibach are hollow and the Hellwig are solid. I did think the Eibach were a little bit better quality but I would still go with the Hellwig because the performance is much better.
Totally agree with 91RS. While deciding on bars, Elbach tried to sell me on the story that there was not difference between solid and hollow bars, that it was the type of metal that determined the strength and rigidity of the bar. I just couldn't get my mind around that logic.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I considered the Eibach bars but decided on the Hellwig bars in the end. Heavier, yes they are. Seat of the pants feel between the stock and Hellwig, hell yes, a big difference and that is set on the center/medium position. It just makes more sense. Out of all the work I have done to this rig, those Hellwig bars bring the biggest smile. If you can hold out till they can be made available, you will not regret it at all. Sure does suck waiting though.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bummer! The rear Hellwig doesn't seem to be available anywhere. Even on their website- they say it's a special order with a delivery time of 8-12 weeks.

Did you call Hellwig and talk to them?

I saw the same long delivery times on their web site, when I was interested in them. But I called them, and they said that they were in stock for my truck, and I then ordered through them. My sway bars arrived in less than 2 weeks. Hellwig does not fulfill the order themselves, but rather has a third party fulfill them, but who cares, as long as they arrive in good condition, and in a reasonable amount of time. If you call them, and they tell you that the lead time is in fact 8-12 weeks for your truck, then the only thing that you've lost is the few minutes of time making the phone call to Hellwig.

As @PNW VietVet stated, the difference between OEM sway bars and Hellwig sway bars is absolutely enormous. It is like having two different trucks. The roll of the truck on curves is virtually eliminated (he and I both have our 'test' cloverleafs for truck handling evaluations), and the overall handling of the truck is dramatically improved. I believe that the Hellwig sway bars are the second most impressive mod that I've made to my truck, after the Black Bear Performance tune.

They are very heavy, though. So, if you don't have a lift, then you are going to need a jack to lift and help position the front Hellwig sway bar into place, before you bolt it up. You will need to put the front up on blocks (several) under the tires, so that you have adequate clearance to get under the truck, but still have the suspension 'loaded', so that you can properly torque the sway bars into place. There is adequate clearance under the rear of the truck, so no jacking up the rear of the truck is needed to install the rear Hellwig sway bar.

The Hellwig sway bars are costly, but totally worth it, IMO.

rdhogg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you call Hellwig and talk to them?

I saw the same long delivery times on their web site, when I was interested in them. But I called them, and they said that they were in stock for my truck, and I then ordered through them. My sway bars arrived in less than 2 weeks. Hellwig does not fulfill the order themselves, but rather has a third party fulfill them, but who cares, as long as they arrive in good condition, and in a reasonable amount of time. If you call them, and they tell you that the lead time is in fact 8-12 weeks for your truck, then the only thing that you've lost is the few minutes of time making the phone call to Hellwig.

As @PNW VietVet stated, the difference between OEM sway bars and Hellwig sway bars is absolutely enormous. It is like having two different trucks. The roll of the truck on curves is virtually eliminated (he and I both have our 'test' cloverleafs for truck handling evaluations), and the overall handling of the truck is dramatically improved. I believe that the Hellwig sway bars are the second most impressive mod that I've made to my truck, after the Black Bear Performance tune.

They are very heavy, though. So, if you don't have a lift, then you are going to need a jack to lift and help position the front Hellwig sway bar into place, before you bolt it up. You will need to put the front up on blocks (several) under the tires, so that you have adequate clearance to get under the truck, but still have the suspension 'loaded', so that you can properly torque the sway bars into place. There is adequate clearance under the rear of the truck, so no jacking up the rear of the truck is needed to install the rear Hellwig sway bar.

The Hellwig sway bars are costly, but totally worth it, IMO.
Just ordered the full Hellwig package from this site. According to the website, they have them in stock and ready to ship. Plus the price was excellent. Thanks all!
No problem, there are some excellent sources of information on this forum. I used Garcia's suggestion about using some help. I didn't have a buddy but the floor jack was a life saver. Those bars are heavy and hard to hold in place while bolting them up to the frame.

keg97

Reaction score
No problem, there are some excellent sources of information on this forum. I used Garcia's suggestion about using some help. I didn't have a buddy but the floor jack was a life saver. Those bars are heavy and hard to hold in place while bolting them up to the frame.
I'll be having my local garage install these. The lazy/time factor is high for me!

rdhogg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll be having my local garage install these. The lazy/time factor is high for me!
I hear that, being retired I have some lazy/time, ha. However being 70, its the strength factor to lift that heavy ass bar up hold it and attach the bolts, ha. But 70 is only a number and has not stopped me, I just did rotors, pads and rebuilt the calipers. And believe me YouTube and this forum has saved me from a lot of "oh crap" moments. BTW you are going to love the improved handling with your new bars.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick3645