Hellwig vs Hotchkis sway bars and how hard to install

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rdhogg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
NO you do not need any spacers
I called Hellwig tech support about the rear bars and mentioned about the spacers and he said that I did need them and sent a set out. I will let you know during the install, if that is the case or not. 'Only the shadow knows', ha
UpDate:
View attachment 276497
Had to wait long enough, but the front bar arrived last night. I will try to get on this install today

Install notes: No spacers needed, you could have installed upside down and still had plenty of room

Last edited:

cnunez

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Anyone here install hellwog or Hotchkiss on a dropped truck?
I have a question xl denali with the belltech 2/4 kit and the swaybar rubs on half turns. Its a pain when parking.
I want to upgrade the bars anyway and was hoping one of the 2 would fix the problem

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anyone here install hellwog or Hotchkiss on a dropped truck?
I have a question xl denali with the belltech 2/4 kit and the swaybar rubs on half turns. Its a pain when parking.
I want to upgrade the bars anyway and was hoping one of the 2 would fix the problem
can you post a picture of what is happening from under neath I have heard of this before but do not understand how it even happens I had a 4/6 drop on my silverado and tires were no where even close to coming in contact with the sway bar, only thing I can think of is the wrong size wheels are on it. Changing the sway bar will not correct this issue it's something else. The rear is a different issue with drops.

rdhogg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I have a few questions of upgrading my sway bars.

1. Are Hellwig Replacements worth the extra $125+ over hotchkis? I know they are solid vs hollow, but will that make that much of a difference?

2. I have not seen much as far as install videos on tahoe/suburban, but I have seen some on the gm trucks and it looks like the hotchkis ones are a lot easier to install than Hellwig. Is there truth to this, as I will be doing the install on my own.

3. The main reason I want to do this is because when I tow my boat it tends to sway a little too much for my comfort and I had read somewhere that this could help reduce that sway. Is there any truth to this?

Sorry for my ignorance and I appreciate the help!
All good questions and that is what this forum is all about. Believe me there are never any stupid questions because I have thought I had a few over the time but no one in this forum has made me feel that way. So with that , on with your questions.

!. Worth the money? I did not consider Hotchkis or any hollow bars because I felt the solid ones could handle the stress better. the stock bars are hollow BTW.

2. Install ?: The only hard part of the install for me was they were heavy ( I know and being 70 makes a lot of projects heavy, ha) , so if you are doing the upgrade solo you might have a floor jack handy to hold the bar up while you are attaching it to the frame. The instructions for the front bar say you might need spacers for tranny coolant lines, not so at least on the 2013 Tahoes. The front bar does require that you purchase end links and there are a lot of good choices. The rear bar comes with adjustable end links You can see my install pics on my link.

3. Reduce sway? : Hell yeah, as the name implies but like others have said it depends on the truck/SUV and what you are towing. I just wanted a better ride on the Hwy and only tow a race trailer every once in a while. either case I have only had my Hellwigs a short while and notice a much better ride when having to make quick lane changes or driving in high cross winds. Plus the Hellwigs rear bars are adjustable stiffness as will as adj end links. The install instructions suggest to start with the std setting but I went with the one notch greater stiffness setting.

Install pics

Last edited:

CMoore711

Full Access Member
Reaction score
can you post a picture of what is happening from under neath I have heard of this before but do not understand how it even happens I had a 4/6 drop on my silverado and tires were no where even close to coming in contact with the sway bar, only thing I can think of is the wrong size wheels are on it. Changing the sway bar will not correct this issue it's something else. The rear is a different issue with drops.

My ‘15 Denali XL is lowered, and not by a lot; About 1-1/2” front and 2-5/8” in the rear. With OEM 22’s (22” x 9” +24) and 285/45/22 tires my front tires rub the front swaybar.

The Hotchkis and Hellwig sway bars are the same overall bent shape as stock, just stiffer.

I’ve got Hotchkis sways on mine. I haven’t looked underneath to see if they rub but I’m sure they do. If I take a look and see some rub marks I’ll take a pic.

rdhogg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My ‘15 Denali XL is lowered, and not by a lot; About 1-1/2” front and 2-5/8” in the rear. With OEM 22’s (22” x 9” +24) and 285/45/22 tires my front tires rub the front swaybar.

The Hotchkis and Hellwig sway bars are the same overall bent shape as stock, just stiffer.

I’ve got Hotchkis sways on mine. I haven’t looked underneath to see if they rub but I’m sure they do. If I take a look and see some rub marks I’ll take a pic.
Check out the picture with the arrow that showes the distance from the front bar to the coolant lines.

CMoore711

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check out the picture with the arrow that showes the distance from the front bar to the coolant lines.

The coolant lines aren’t the issue. My swaybar does not interfere with any coolant lines.

I’ll quote myself…

Dearmosd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am not trying to hijack this thread but only to add some pics to the topic of sway bar rubbing.20190909_184317.jpg20190909_184233.jpg