Hellwig vs Hotchkis sway bars and how hard to install

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dearmosd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry for the size and my text is not on top.

I too have the rubbing issue and wanted to post the pics to help the thread question out since someone asked and no pics were producted.

CMoore711

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am not trying to hijack this thread but only to add some pics to the topic of sway bar rubbing.View attachment 297722View attachment 297723

That's exactly what my OEM stock sway bars look like. I have not checked my Hotchkiss since installing them, but they are the same shape and in the same position and I would only assume I have similar rub marks on them as well.

'15 Yukon XL Denali lowered about 1-1/2” front and 2-5/8” in the rear on OEM 22" x 9" + 24 stock 285/45/22 tire size (Michelin Defender LTX's)

cnunez

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
can you post a picture of what is happening from under neath I have heard of this before but do not understand how it even happens I had a 4/6 drop on my silverado and tires were no where even close to coming in contact with the sway bar, only thing I can think of is the wrong size wheels are on it. Changing the sway bar will not correct this issue it's something else. The rear is a different issue with drops.
I'll get some photos but all I can see it the rub marks on the swaybar. Another member posted photos of the same issue.
It is definitely strange, I just wondered if aftermarket bars had different geometry to add clearance (coming from VW's i know Hotchkiss made under axle kits to avoid rubbing the way OE axles would on mk4 vw chassis).
Also FYI its a 16 denali with the 22" wheel package. I'm sure the offset is a culprit but I think spacers wouldn't look great on it. (See pic for reference)

Attachments

• 20210506_193746.jpg
    20210506_193746.jpg
    491.1 KB · Views: 5

cnunez

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
That's exactly what my OEM stock sway bars look like. I have not checked my Hotchkiss since installing them, but they are the same shape and in the same position and I would only assume I have similar rub marks on them as well.

'15 Yukon XL Denali lowered about 1-1/2” front and 2-5/8” in the rear on OEM 22" x 9" + 24 stock 285/45/22 tire size (Michelin Defender LTX's)
Thanks for the replies and posts guys, thats exactly how mine looks.
Also, sorry OP for jacking this thread!

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
My rear Hellwig bar is adjustable. I have it set on the medium spot but can go less stiff or more stiff. I like the way it handles right now, so I leave it alone.

8718.jpeg

keg97

Reaction score
perfect- thanks! Have your tried to adjust? I'll have my local mechanic install but wondering if I can do the adjustments myself.

rdhogg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
perfect- thanks! Have your tried to adjust? I'll have my local mechanic install but wondering if I can do the adjustments myself.
Yes, all you have to do is loosen the bolt that attaches to the bar and move it to innermost hole in the bar. Hellwig recommends starting with the outer most hole to see how you like the ride. I started with the middle hole, i guess your mechanic talked to you about the options or he just decided to to start with the middle. I guess you could also play with the adjustment height / length of the end length itself, but I thought that adjustment was just to make sure you adjusted it prior to install to make sure that it was the same length as the stock end link. I don't know if you did anything to the front bar or not, I put the Hellwig front bar in also but that one does not come with an end link. I went with the link that Hellwig recommended, it fit perfectly and the over all Geometry of the suspension is solid and the ride is much better than factory. Hellwig recommends that you order space plate when mounting the new bar to the frame, to clear the tranny coolant lines. Don't do it , see picture, plenty of clearance, unless your truck/ SUV is much different .... up date. I saw the picture of

PNW VietVet bar install, so I don't know which mounting hole you used, but I still go with my suggestions.​

2013 Tahoe Hellwig front bar and link.jpg2013 Tahoe Hellwig front bar clearance.jpg2013 Tahoe Hellwig old and new adjustible rear bar link_LI.jpg

keg97

Reaction score
Bummer! The rear Hellwig doesn't seem to be available anywhere. Even on their website- they say it's a special order with a delivery time of 8-12 weeks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ckylec