Hello and annoying rattle on new '20 Suburban

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Mike Lindell

Mike Lindell

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Update to this, sort of. With a quarter tank of 87 left I had filled up 93 octane at Exxon and ran it on the highway. Noticed no longer any sign of the noise where it had been occurring (4k rpm or so up hills). Runs beautiful and pulls nice at highway speeds.

But of course a new sound occurs but this time at lower rpm and engine load. It sounds almost like the sound they make when bogged down before going from v4 to v8, but this occurs in v8 mode.

Very evident in the video from 4 seconds to 11 seconds, and I notice it stops instantly at times...

Is it even an issue or am I hearing valves and injectors doing their work? My father has the same exact truck same year and miles and doesn't make the sound.

Thanks

OP
OP
Mike Lindell

Mike Lindell

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Ok finally got decent videos of this...you can clearly hear a new noise begin around 0:04, it cuts in and out on acceleration...

And here from about 0:04 to 0:09...

Ignore sound of my keys hitting the column in the vids. Truck performing otherwise fine.

Thanks.

Last edited:

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok finally got decent videos of this...you can clearly hear a new noise begin around 0:04, it cuts in and out on acceleration...

And here from about 0:04 to 0:09...

Ignore sound of my keys hitting the column in the vids. Truck performing otherwise fine.

Thanks.

I just hear wind and road noise and knocking and rubbing over the microphone in the second vid. I think I hear a metallic ringing in the first vid- is that it?

OP
OP
Mike Lindell

Mike Lindell

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I just hear wind and road noise and knocking and rubbing over the microphone in the second vid. I think I hear a metallic ringing in the first vid- is that it?

Its a clicking/tapping sound under load from driver side of engine. I don't know if this is related but here's the noise it makes on a cold start....

Not sure what to make of all this

Bob2C

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Its a clicking/tapping sound under load from driver side of engine. I don't know if this is related but here's the noise it makes on a cold start....

Got the same sound on my 18 5.3. Been there since day one. Goes away when warm. Now have 30k miles. Zero oil consumption. Afm turned off with tune

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Miami-Dade

Staff member
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Mine does it even in the jungle heat here in Miami for a short. Worse if I am in New Jersey-NYC during Christmas. Goes away after it is warmed up. Been doing that for 90K miles. Uses no oil between changes. No worries.

Exactly like Robert[ Bob2C] said

BTW I only use 87 [Mobil] octane since new.

AFM is still enabled.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Gud lawd. I didn't know they put a V-8 Diesel in these things!

Speaking of Diesel, maybe a lot of that noise is the direct injection system.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tom McCormick