2000 Suburban 5.3 Engine Knocking

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

03yukXL

Reaction score
Has anybody looked at the dipstick? I would maybe start there and if it’s low top it up with whatever oil you have. Hard to diag any noise around a motor that is 5 quarts low on oil…. Also, by the time you diagnose it you will need to replace the motor anyway!

OP
OP
T

Tynan918

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Has anybody looked at the dipstick? I would maybe start there and if it’s low top it up with whatever oil you have. Hard to diag any noise around a motor that is 5 quarts low on oil…. Also, by the time you diagnose it you will need to replace the motor anyway!
Yea I did to see if the engine was milky. As I was looking at that, is when he started telling me about 1 quart being in the motor, and that isn't definite. Motor fired right up and the knocking is external, no knocking from inside the motor. Only ran it 2 minutes, here's a video of the gauges:

When I get it towed to where I'm getting it, I'm draining the oil and checking the fluid level that way.

OP
OP
T

Tynan918

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Isn't there an low oil light on the cluster with the needle oil pressure gauge or is it just the needle pressure gauge ?

Sensor screen maybe clogged ?

Sensor failed without a DTC ?

Failed gauge needle ?

OP
OP
T

Tynan918

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Update on the "knocking" motor...

Got it bought and towed to where I can work on things. Because the tow truck driver didn't have a winch, it had to be started and driven on the trailer. Pulled itself nice.

When I made it to my destination, I drained the oil and there was actually 5 about quarts in it, not 1 quart like I was told.

There was no metal shavings in oil.20240401_195508.jpg20240401_195535.jpg

Left bottle is the drained oil..20240401_200249.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thekenstar