Hello and annoying rattle on new '20 Suburban

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
I had an ‘05 suburban with an annoying rattle like this. Almost made me have to trade in! But, I took off passenger door interior facing, and found a loose bolt on the electric motor mechanism. Tightened it up and voila! Rattle disappeared

Rdr854

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Grew up in Teaneck across the street from Fairleigh Dickinson University. Loved it there.

BTW when I visit the NYC-NJ area I use Paramus Chevrolet on Route 17 North for service. John MCGarry is good to deal with for service.

Emerson, NJ until we moved to Fairfax, VA as a kid.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Been in the GM full size SUV family about 5 years, first with my Tahoe when I began lurking this forum and now a new 2020 Suburban with 2400 miles on it.

Hoping someone can help me figure out this sound that's been baffling me...happens around 4-5 seconds in the video, sounds more pronounced in reality. The video is a sample of the sound, but it will happen more continuously if moderate/heavy acceleration and especially uphill. Truck has 2400 miles on it so not sure what this could be.

Thanks in advance and looking forward to being on the forum.

The sound and when it happens are very much like symptoms of detonation (preignition, spark knock, etc.)

Stop using Shell gas. lol

Seriously, though, what brand what grade are you running? As a simple test, fill up with 93 and see if there's any change.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
The sound and when it happens are very much like symptoms of detonation (preignition, spark knock, etc.)

Seriously, though, what brand what grade are you running? As a simple test, fill up with 93 and see if there's any change.

@iamdub, I wish I had younger ears. I could not hear that engine ping unless maybe it was louder. Good call if that is what it is.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@iamdub, I wish I had younger ears. I could not hear that engine ping unless maybe it was louder. Good call if that is what it is.

I had to play it a few times with my crappy laptop speakers maxed out. Once I heard it, I honed in cuz I used to hear the same sound during the same instances with my Tahoe during hot weather if I ran 87. It sounds like more of a clicking, like the ol' zip ties around the driveshaft prank.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I have had that exact zip tie around driveshaft prank played on me at a shop I ran. Thankfully I was the service manager and had keys to get back in the shop when I heard that noise. I immediately turned around and racked my truck to inspect. Lots of laughs in the shop the next morning.

SilverGABullet

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
thanks all for the responses, I THINK its engine ping or something related
Mike, I have had/have the same issue in my 18 Tahoe. Best way i could describe it was if you had a slightly loose washer on a bolt and it sounded as if it raddled in the engine bay while the car is under acceleration/load.

What did the dealer end up telling you?

OP
OP
Mike Lindell

Mike Lindell

TYF Newbie
Reaction score

I think you're right, this is someone else's video of their truck but it's the exact same sound...

And this actually did happen with a mix of shell and citgo 87 octane. I'm half way through a tank of Exxon 93 and no trace of the sound. I think you nailed it, thanks

OP
OP
Mike Lindell

Mike Lindell

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Mike, I have had/have the same issue in my 18 Tahoe. Best way i could describe it was if you had a slightly loose washer on a bolt and it sounded as if it raddled in the engine bay while the car is under acceleration/load.

What did the dealer end up telling you?

Thanks, I never went to dealer that day. Filled up 93 Octane so far no sound!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick9667