Hello and annoying rattle on new '20 Suburban

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mike Lindell

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hi all,

Been in the GM full size SUV family about 5 years, first with my Tahoe when I began lurking this forum and now a new 2020 Suburban with 2400 miles on it.

Hoping someone can help me figure out this sound that's been baffling me...happens around 4-5 seconds in the video, sounds more pronounced in reality. The video is a sample of the sound, but it will happen more continuously if moderate/heavy acceleration and especially uphill. Truck has 2400 miles on it so not sure what this could be.

Thanks in advance and looking forward to being on the forum.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Been in the GM full size SUV family about 5 years, first with my Tahoe when I began lurking this forum and now a new 2020 Suburban with 2400 miles on it.

Hoping someone can help me figure out this sound that's been baffling me...happens around 4-5 seconds in the video, sounds more pronounced in reality. The video is a sample of the sound, but it will happen more continuously if moderate/heavy acceleration and especially uphill. Truck has 2400 miles on it so not sure what this could be.

you will need a passenger to help find the source, could be literally anything, if they cannot pinpoint it by ear then put a phone on record and move it around the inside the vehicle then playback the recording to find where the noise is louder.

Tiredmechanic23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

including what was said above you could also get up under it and grab the exhaust at different points and shake it to check for anything loose. I had near my entire exhaust on my 2016 work loose in the first few thousand miles.

Also check the spare tire it could be possibly loose slightly.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum from Oregon and please post pics, inside and out.

We recommend that you put all your rig(s) info in your signature so we all don’t have to guess at year, make, model, engine size, trans, rear axle locker…….etc. While you may have posted pertinent info in your first post, you may forget to do it again and the info is needed by us anyway. Makes it way easier on all members that attempt to help, to have that info right up front. It is also recommended that you take a pic of your RPO codes, on the inside cover of the glove box, and post that image in your signature. All this info will greatly help those that will try to help with a problem.

If there is any other info, like upgrades, mods or recent mechanical/maintenance work done, that would be helpful in any post as well. Too many times a question is asked by the poster and after about 10 responses we find out that the poster has done recent work to attempt to fix the problem or work that was done that SEEMS not related to the problem.

BentleyArnage

Reaction score
you will need a passenger to help find the source, could be literally anything, if they cannot pinpoint it by ear then put a phone on record and move it around the inside the vehicle then playback the recording to find where the noise is louder.
Could be a beer bottle rattling around in the doors. We had that when I was a kid on a 68 Cadillac Drop Head Coupe. No one could find the problem. The dealer was sick of us. My uncle found it going up his gravel drive. Then the motor went south, a typical 68 issue from a faulty oil pump drive shaft. Good times!

Miami-Dade

Staff member
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Could be a beer bottle rattling around in the doors. We had that when I was a kid on a 68 Cadillac Drop Head Coupe. No one could find the problem. The dealer was sick of us. My uncle found it going up his gravel drive. Then the motor went south, a typical 68 issue from a faulty oil pump drive shaft. Good times!

My mom [RIP] had a 68 Sedan DeVille when I was growing up. Had the same exact same issue. The dealer at the time [Feldner Cadillac in Hackensack New Jersey] found the bottle. She bought the Caddy as she wanted factory a/c as she travelled a lot in the summer. No issues with the Caddy whatsoever but did hear about the oil pump issue. Dealer service at Felder was awesome!

OP
OP
Mike Lindell

Mike Lindell

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
My mom [RIP] had a 68 Sedan DeVille when I was growing up. Had the same exact same issue. The dealer at the time [Feldner Cadillac in Hackensack New Jersey] found the bottle. She bought the Caddy as she wanted factory a/c as she travelled a lot in the summer. No issues with the Caddy whatsoever but did hear about the oil pump issue. Dealer service at Felder was awesome!

Funny you mention Hackensack, I was driving through there when I recorded the video above. Entering 17 off Essex street coming from the hospital.

Miami-Dade

Staff member
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Funny you mention Hackensack, I was driving through there when I recorded the video above. Entering 17 off Essex street coming from the hospital.

Grew up in Teaneck across the street from Fairleigh Dickinson University. Loved it there.

BTW when I visit the NYC-NJ area I use Paramus Chevrolet on Route 17 North for service. John MCGarry is good to deal with for service.

OP
OP
Mike Lindell

Mike Lindell

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Grew up in Teaneck across the street from Fairleigh Dickinson University. Loved it there.

BTW when I visit the NYC-NJ area I use Paramus Chevrolet on Route 17 North for service. John MCGarry is good to deal with for service.

I'll be going there Monday to get this sound looked at!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
willie110hh