Head Job, New Engine, or ??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gpd4

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a 2007 5.3 Sub with just shy of 197K on it. It's in dire need of at least valve seals, but I can't imagine the guides are in any better shape, and in all fairness, it should probably get the valves reground or replaced at the same time. From my research, I'm looking at about $1000-1200 for a complete head job on it. Do I really want to throw that kind of money at an engine with 200K miles? Should I just go ahead and buy an engine for it? It's already got a new tranny and new (used) rear end in it. The body has a bit of cancer on it, but it's not too terrible...

Or change the plugs again, clear the misfire codes and trade her in? Kind of hurts that it's only worth about 10% of a new one!

OP
OP
G

gpd4

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I get a big puff of white smoke on startup, but now I've got misfire codes again, too. The plugs are all pretty oil-fouled.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Most of these motors go 300k miles and then some. If you do the heads, you'll want to do the oil pump, water pump, latest AFM components or delete it, it's all opened up right?

Maybe you could score some junkyard 243/799 heads, have them cleaned up and just put them on and keep going?

thompsoj22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
california native "REPUBLICAN" high desert
with that many miles imo i would simply do the stem seals externally for whatever the parts cost and keep on trucking! stem seals are probably less than $50 and if you have diagnosed correctly should stop the oil burning completely. your cats are degrading with each puff of smoke so dont procrastinate. If finances allow it throw some cheap plugs and snake oil no smoke at it and let a dealer wholesale it. the sad reality is it will be worth approx $2k on a tradein at most. i dont advise buying new $70k cars, just get a good pre owned with less than 50k miles.

kbuskill

***CAUTION*** I do my own stunts!
Reaction score
Not to muddy the waters but have you looked inside the intake manifold with a flash light???

These trucks are notorious for having oil laying in puddles inside the intake because of the PCV systems.

Perhaps the puff of smoke at startup is coming from that. A lot of guys add a catch can to alleviate the majority of the problem... myself included.

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not to muddy the waters but have you looked inside the intake manifold with a flash light???

These trucks are notorious for having oil laying in puddles inside the intake because of the PCV systems.

Perhaps the puff of smoke at startup is coming from that. A lot of guys add a catch can to alleviate the majority of the problem... myself included.

Is there a thread discussion somewhere on this topic? Thanks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pikelk98