Hatch glass hinge separation

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
L

Larryjb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Either you never use the hatch, or you are very lucky with the JBWeld. Anyone else who has used it found that the JBWeld is so brittle it cracks away after.

I plan to redo mine this summer, but do a more thorough cleaning up down to bare glass. My only concern is how do I make sure the hinge goes onto the exact right spot. I'm hoping I can remove all the old adhesive except for a small bit at each corner. Also, I believe there is an adhesion promoter you can get for the urethane adhesive.

Note: 3M 08682 seems to be the primer to use.

Last edited:
OP
OP
L

Larryjb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow, 2 years later....

I finally just replaced the rear hatch glass with one from a 2006 with the upgraded hinge. This seems to introduce a new problem though. It does latch, but seems to be ever so slightly loose when latched. Is there an adjustment for the latch? I believe if the latch could hold the glass in about another 1/16" it would be about perfect.

OP
OP
L

Larryjb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I looked more closely, I noted that the glass isn't square on the liftgate, so one of the hinges does need adjustment. If the hinge for the hatch on the liftgate is adjustable, I may be able to adjust the hatch so it sits square on the liftgate. Has anyone made such an adjustment?

OP
OP
L

Larryjb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I said that the 2006 glass isn't square on the liftgate, I had only one of the two struts installed on the hatch glass. Now that I installed both struts, the hatch sits squarely on the liftgate. However, when I press the release button, the hatch doesn't pop open. I have to lift the glass while holding the button down.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When I said that the 2006 glass isn't square on the liftgate, I had only one of the two struts installed on the hatch glass. Now that I installed both struts, the hatch sits squarely on the liftgate. However, when I press the release button, the hatch doesn't pop open. I have to lift the glass while holding the button down.
might be time for new struts

OP
OP
L

Larryjb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
might be time for new struts
Possibly. When I had the broken hinge on the old glass, I did remove one strut to take the pressure off the broken hinge. Because I had indeed misplaced the strut, I had to buy a new one. Also, the struts don't provide any lift in the fully closed position. IOW, it would never just fly open the moment you pop the button. Also, the old glass, even with the broken hinge, would pop past the latch so I wouldn't have to press the button and lift at the same time. This would happen even with one strut removed.

I do suspect the 2006 glass does fit every so slightly differently. It's not so much that I want to adjust the hinge now. I might add a thin washer under the latch mechanism bolts to set it back very slightly.

ScottyBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the update. The hinge on my glass is starting to separate on my 2001. I already have a 2003 Escalade rear glass, (which I have listed on here for sale actually) so I was just going to install that one. But just two days ago I was in my local junkyard and they had a 2006 Yukon with the updated rear glass. I went ahead and bought that glass, because I don't want to install the Escalade glass and be in the same situation 5 years from now with the hinges separating from the glass again.

ScottyBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've heard of this happening to a LOT of Tahoe, Yukon, Suburban owners. Thankfully, I have not had any issues with mine. But then again, I have probably only actually opened my rear glass about a dozen times at most during the entire time owning my truck, and I've had it since 2006. I usually just open the entire rear hatch, not just the glass.
Just quoting my own post now from 4 years ago. I have to eat my words be a use just last week I noticed my window not sitting right, and sure enough the right side hinge is separating from the glass.

OP
OP
L

Larryjb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just so everyone knows (I didn't before I got my 2006 glass), the hinge on the 2006+ hatch glass is also glued to the glass. But, the amount of surface area that is glued is much more which is probably why it doesn't separate like the pre-2006.

OP
OP
L

Larryjb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I made an interesting observation this weekend which may explain why the hatch doesn't pop open. I compered the latch mechanism with my Explorer hatch which has a very similar mechanism. The piece inside the latch that actually holds the hatch closed moves smoothly and freely in the Explorer. As a result, when the button is pressed, this lever piece has the ability to pop the glass open. This same lever piece (sorry I really don't know what it might be called) does not move freely. I have tried lubricating it to no avail.

I will try to take a picture sometime, but if some one else has encountered the same issue and has a solution, I'd appreciate that very much.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MCDizz