Has anyone converted back to straight gas

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's so hard to tell because the grinding comes with violent shaking...though it is below the truck to the rear of the driver seat...shifts into drive with no hesitation...you take your foot off that brake...all hell grinds and shakes violently...it will not move forward at all....almost feels like if you took two splines at full speed and dropped a piece of hardened steel between the two...if it is the rear end.....theres nothing left inside that pumpkin...except broken shards of steel....that's for sure.

Did you say it doesn't make the noise in reverse? Will it move at all in reverse?

I'd remove the driveshaft before removing the rear cover if I were just trying to isolate the issue to the trans or rear end. Four bolts and maybe a little trans fluid dripping out the tailshaft versus 10 bolts, draining half a gallon of stinky gear oil, having to re-gasket...

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
The engine starts when I put in gear it does nothing it is a 4x4 truck the fluid in the trans looks good and full I really never did anything with hybrids so don’t know much about the aux pump on the display it says service hybrid there were some codes when we scanned it but nothing to do with trans it’s been sitting for a year and only owned it for a year and three days

That may well be the longest sentence I ever read. Ok, sitting for a year--not good. Has codes but nothing to do with trans--still should know what those codes are. They may or may not be related. Please still do the basic checks and report.

Dropped HYbro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
just curious...any idea what a trans rebuild or remanufactured trans installed runs...ballpark??
or have you heard any stories of hybrid rebuilds and costs?

morning yall...quick update...I took a video of the noise and am trying to upload now...remember sound is 100 times worse in person and shakes the whole truck violently....could hear clacking sounds with the truck up in the rear and the tires trying to spin manually...lets see if I can get this video uploaded

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
just curious...any idea what a trans rebuild or remanufactured trans installed runs...ballpark??
or have you heard any stories of hybrid rebuilds and costs?

We've had a few guys with grenaded rears in the past two weeks or so. As for prices for a hybrid CVT transmission, I do not know off-hand. But I do know rebuilding them and their prices have been discussed over the last two years as I was involved in those conversations. The search feature is your friend, not my memory! LOL

Ohh, how many bolts down there?

The first year of the Cadillac Hybrid and maybe the Tahoes had 3.42 gears. Then they went to 3.08s.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are you saying the 9.5" 14-bolt is a drop in, like a third member? If it isn't, I personally would not want to attempt the gear lash set up without the proper tools and experience.

I ask because it has been long enough since I was in a shop that I don't know if there is a 3rd member design for that 9.5".

I'm not sure I understand what you mean by "3rd member design". However, RWD and 4x4, not AWD 1500 GMT-900 SUVs with the 6.2 and 6.0 Hybrid received the 14-bolt 9.5" semi-floater rear axle versus the 8.6" used by the 5.3s and the 6.2s with AWD. Within this same generation it is a plug and play affair and one does not need to open them up (parts replacement) unless they want to change the gears.

Dropped HYbro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That may well be the longest sentence I ever read. Ok, sitting for a year--not good. Has codes but nothing to do with trans--still should know what those codes are. They may or may not be related. Please still do the basic checks and report.
If the noise is in fact coming from there then you may have trans tailshaft/front driveshaft problems. Maybe a u-joint getting ready to disintegrate.
We've had a few guys with grenaded rears in the past two weeks or so. As for prices for a hybrid CVT transmission, I do not know off-hand. But I do know rebuilding them and their prices have been discussed over the last two years as I was involved in those conversations. The search feature is your friend, not my memory! LOL

Ohh, how many bolts down there?

The first year of the Cadillac Hybrid and maybe the Tahoes had 3.42 gears. Then they went to 3.08s.

I counted 14 bolts....having a hard time uploading video...its only 49 seconds and I keep trying to trim it and it keeps telling me the file is too large...its 6MB......whats the largest file I can upload anyone know??...I really would like your guy's opinion on this sound!

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I counted 14 bolts....having a hard time uploading video...its only 49 seconds and I keep trying to trim it and it keeps telling me the file is too large...its 6MB......whats the largest file I can upload anyone know??...I really would like your guy's opinion on this sound!

Ok and I bet then that your RPO sheet has AXN for the 14-bolt rear. Well, now you have the option to get a used rear out of a RWD Denali or Escalade, long or short, shouldn't matter and it will bolt right up.

All this clanging around may damage the u-joints, the rear seal on the transmission or even the tail shaft so inspect those carefully.

Last year one of our members here bought one for about $500 and paid another $400 for installation. The guy whose rear grenaded last week paid $900 for a rebuild but that was an 8.6".

Dropped HYbro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok and I bet then that your RPO sheet has AXN for the 14-bolt rear. Well, now you have the option to get a used rear out of a RWD Denali or Escalade, long or short, shouldn't matter and it will bolt right up.

All this clanging around may damage the u-joints, the rear seal on the transmission or even the tail shaft so inspect those carefully.

Last year one of our members here bought one for about $500 and paid another $400 for installation. The guy whose rear grenaded last week paid $900 for a rebuild but that was an 8.6".

I could live with that...love the way the hybrid drives that much...really wish I could upload this video....it keeps telling me the file is too large and Ive trimmed it down to 5MB...it was 40MB...if it really is the rear end...I need to research if there are any repurcussions to changing the gear ratio at the same time...I would really like to run a 3.73 gear...I have this on my monte carlo ss...with a 700r4 and really like the results....thanks for the advice...ill know soon for sure after the dealer looks at it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
montanaboy65