diesel Fuel in gas engine

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jare Tara

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hello all,I mistakenly placed about 3 quarts of diesel in my gas tank. yes I know, bad, I then filled the tank up with gas. the tahoe spit and sputtered up the road a few miles or so. Now it quit all together. New plugs, new inline filter etc. i tried starter fluid in throttle body. No luck, it turn over well but nothing else. the plugs are iridium. The question is: Could the fuel pressure gage be plugged? There is fuel coming out at the pump also. Are the 8 cylinder fuel lines clogged. I have bled fuel out of tank thinking that the diesel settles to tank bottom.

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Diesel should be heavier and at the bottom. You need to siphon it out and flush out at the fuel rails.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum from NH.

Lots of knowledgeable folks here who freely share their knowledge, experiences, and perspectives. Knowledge is power.

I hope that you will become a participating member in the Forum's discussions.

Pics of the truck, please.

You are already receiving sage advice from the knowledgeable folks on this Forum.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello all,I mistakenly placed about 3 quarts of diesel in my gas tank. yes I know, bad, I then filled the tank up with gas. the tahoe spit and sputtered up the road a few miles or so. Now it quit all together. New plugs, new inline filter etc. i tried starter fluid in throttle body. No luck, it turn over well but nothing else. the plugs are iridium. The question is: Could the fuel pressure gage be plugged? There is fuel coming out at the pump also. Are the 8 cylinder fuel lines clogged. I have bled fuel out of tank thinking that the diesel settles to tank bottom.
the green color diesel nozzle didn't give it away?....
I would speculate that the entire fuel system needs to be flushed, not just the tank

RST Dana

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Onetime I was behind a guy trying to insert a green nozzle into his gas burner humpty wagon. I rolled down my window and gave him the heads up before it was too late. SMH.

RET423

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you have a return system or a dead head fuel system in your tahoe?

Diesel won't plug anything in a gas system, it just won't run very well or at all if you get to much of it.

Your repair is going to be to pump the tank dry, if you have a return system from the fuel rail you can connect that port to a hose and jump your fuel pump relay to start filling gas cans.

If you don't have a return system I would rig a hose off of the fuel pressure port to a gas can and then jump the fuel pump relay.

You shouldn't need to dismantle anything, just pump it dry using the tahoe's fuel pump while it's sitting on level ground and it will be clean enough to run again; using the port on the fuel rail to drain the system insures you get the rails pretty clean as well.

Your not the first one to deal with this, it makes you feel silly but you didn't damage any hard parts.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sickofjasin