Has anyone converted back to straight gas

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dropped HYbro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I often wonder why we have to BEG for info related to a problem. You would think a person asking for help would give info freely to try and figure out what is going on.

these hybrids are really kool...loved the way my truck drove before this disaster.....gotta get it to the dealership.

Last edited:

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
The first thing to do is remove cover and look at it. You see broken pieces and grey fluid, you have problems. You could even remove the plug at the fill hole and dip the little finger in there and see if the fluid is grey and gritty. What you find dictates where you go after that.

I had to leave a bit before finishing my response.

You would know if the rear diff is seized because you would not be able to move. You mentioned shifting. Are you saying that you only notice the problem when the trans is shifting or you hear/feel noise at the rear diff? You may have a trans problem? Do the basic inspection I talked about and also look at the trans fluid and report back what that fluid looks like.

Last edited:

Dropped HYbro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The first thing to do is remove cover and look at it. You see broken pieces and grey fluid, you have problems. You could even remove the plug at the fill hole and dip the little finger in there and see if the fluid is grey and gritty. What you find dictates where you go after that.

Would broken gears/spline/shafts allow it to move in neutral...but NOT allow it to move an inch in drive?

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Would broken gears/spline/shafts allow it to move in neutral...but NOT allow it to move an inch in drive?

This latest info means that it could well be the trans but an inspection of the basics, as stated above, is needed. Will it move if you put it in 4x4?

Dropped HYbro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This latest info means that it could well be the trans but an inspection of the basics, as stated above, is needed. Will it move if you put it in 4x4?

this is a 2008 gmc Yukon hybrid...RWD-2WD....Though it seems I still have reverse....just afraid to move it...so I don't do anymore damage.

Dropped HYbro

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I had to leave a bit before finishing my response.

You would know if the rear diff is seized because you would not be able to move. You mentioned shifting. Are you saying that you only notice the problem when the trans is shifting or you hear/feel noise at the rear diff? You may have a trans problem? Do the basic inspection I talked about and also look at the trans fluid and report back what that fluid looks like.

bright red...no sparkly shavings or glitter...never went over 165 degrees...and shifted like a dream...no towing...no issues whatso ever...no burnt smell...no slippage....literally heard clacking noise coming from under truck....my son walked beside it couldn't pin point where it was coming from....put it in park inspected suspension...went to go put in drive to resume trouble shooting and a terrible violent shaking...and literally the sound of metal teeth grinding against each other....?? put in park and had it towed to the house until I could get some time to start figuring this out.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ok, well now stick the finger in to sample the rear diff fluid and then remove cover to get a look see. It all points to that diff but I have seen fresh damage in a trans where the fluid still looked good on the dipstick.

Dropped HYbro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the truck starts just fine...even idles...motor looks and sounds great....shift into drive and take my foot off the brake and I get the same results loud grinding....like hardened steel chewing up semi hardened steel....worst sound Ive heard from a vehicle ever....and Ive had many with transmissions that went bad.

OP
OP
B

blade02

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Your posts don't tell us anything - "quit moving"?? - what does that mean? won't start? no power to engage starter? transmission locked? - come on man - more info if you really want help.
It will start but won’t move out in gear and goes no where

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
griffey_mojo