Has anyone converted back to straight gas

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dropped HYbro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In case you missed what I was saying, the axle bearings and seals should be replaced because of the shrapnel flying in the bearings when the diff grenaded.

thanks ron...will include that in my negotiations....Ive got a few estimates now from reputable places...I hope I get this resolved and move forward...I miss having my truck at the house.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
A lot of quality shops that do this type of work will either tow to their shop for free or 1/2 price to get the work from you. Get the parts needed from Yukon Gear. Best around, IMO, and they sell the complete kit that will have everything you need in that kit. I have used Yukon Gear many many times over the years with absolutely no problems.

Dropped HYbro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A lot of quality shops that do this type of work will either tow to their shop for free or 1/2 price to get the work from you. Get the parts needed from Yukon Gear. Best around, IMO, and they sell the complete kit that will have everything you need in that kit. I have used Yukon Gear many many times over the years with absolutely no problems.

I actually was looking at them last night as I was pricing out the parts for this repair...we'll see how much the dealership respects us as owners of the vehicles they produce...will update tomorrow on what kinda of pricing I was able to negotiate with them.

Bigkevschopshop

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bet that tech pulled that cover and said.... Look at that metalfalke.... Dont forget to have whoever does the job to put the old parts in a box, I think some of us want to see the carnage......

Hope it works out or you get it somewhere that will get it done right for a good price. I do agree Yukon gear does make some good stuff.. I used to only be a richmond gear man but yukon has changed my mind as they have increased quality alot since they started.

Dropped HYbro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bet that tech pulled that cover and said.... Look at that metalfalke.... Dont forget to have whoever does the job to put the old parts in a box, I think some of us want to see the carnage......

Hope it works out or you get it somewhere that will get it done right for a good price. I do agree Yukon gear does make some good stuff.. I used to only be a richmond gear man but yukon has changed my mind as they have increased quality alot since they started.

dealership is telling me they wont change the gear ratio because it voids the warranty....they will only put a 3.08 ring and pinion in there...and they have back pedaled some...saying that the whole job with a 2-year unlimited mileage warranty will be $1750+/-....still feel its high...but with the holidays im not sure I want to lug it from place to place trying to get the "best" price...most of the other places will warranty the work for 12 months...12,000 miles....im also concerned....that if anything else arises other than the rear end at the dealership...ill be able to tell them they inspected it...at another place they just repair the rearend and move on....this is a lot on my plate before thanksgiving...and it isn't the turkey I was looking forward to ....feel bummed out with dealership service.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No salvage yards around you with GMT900 SUVs? I'd pull a rear from the lowest-mile unit I could find, replace the seals and bearings and swap it in. One day job at 1/6 the cost.

Jeff O

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
A dumb motorist (wanted to say blond, but avoiding any sexism) pulls into the service garage. My car goes chunka-da-chunkada, bing bing. Can you fix it by telling me what that sound means without listening to it? Yes, said the wizard, but please give me your credit card number first.

I thought this was a fantasy story, but I guess those involved are not just actors.

It amazes me that there are wizards who might guess about 'won't move' and 'gear noise'. If it is a problem that some may speculate about, the choices are which tow company and which service business to call. That way one might get a real answer.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
A dumb motorist (wanted to say blond, but avoiding any sexism) pulls into the service garage. My car goes chunka-da-chunkada, bing bing. Can you fix it by telling me what that sound means without listening to it? Yes, said the wizard, but please give me your credit card number first.

I thought this was a fantasy story, but I guess those involved are not just actors.

It amazes me that there are wizards who might guess about 'won't move' and 'gear noise'. If it is a problem that some may speculate about, the choices are which tow company and which service business to call. That way one might get a real answer.

And that is why I beg for as much info as possible. Sometimes I have to beg for the year. I ask if the noise is a feeling or what they hear or both. Where do they feel/hear it from and what are they doing when the problem occurs? Many many more questions follow. At the forum we try to make an EDUCATED guess based off of "pattern failures" we have experienced. I don't think I have yet to hear anyone guarantee a guess or diagnosis here at the forum. May have happened but I am unaware of it. That is also why it is important to hear back when the repair is done and problem is gone. Otherwise it is like a "hit it and quit it" dialogue with no reward for the attempt to help. I think that scenario happens more with new members that instead of introducing themselves, just post a problem and asking for help. I have also seen where someone asks for help and then if they don't get an answer in 3-4 hours they post back that "surely someone knows something, right". "please respond". "I need help now".

Also, anyone who is serious about wanting and needing help should give as much info as possible. I have seen many times where a problem is stated like "runs rough" and then a member trying to help asks first thing when the last tune parts were replaced and the OP says, "yea I did that but no help". Well why didn't you say so???????

Last rant. It also hate when a post is made with one long run on sentence that is 4 lines deep. Reading thru all that with no punctuation makes it hard, especially for an old man like me, to figure out where info starts and stops. PITA

Last edited:

Dropped HYbro

Full Access Member
Reaction score

thankful for triple A....still have 3 tows for the year and I might have to use them....might be the same wizard or crew of wizards at the dealership ive been too....he seems to get around with his credit card scanner...LOL.

Dropped HYbro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And that is why I beg for as much info as possible. Sometimes I have to beg for the year. I ask if the noise is a feeling or what they hear or both. Where do they feel/hear it from and what are they doing when the problem occurs? Many many more questions follow. At the forum we try to make an EDUCATED guess based off of "pattern failures" we have experienced. I don't think I have yet to hear anyone guarantee a guess or diagnosis here at the forum. may have happened but I am unaware of it. That is also why it is important to hear back when the repair is done and problem is gone. Otherwise it is like a "hit it and quit it" dialogue with no reward for the attempt to help. I think that scenario happens more with new members that instead of introducing themselves, just post a problem and asking for help. I have also seen where someone asks for help and then if they don't get an answer in 3-4 hours they post back that surely someone knows something, right". "please respond". "I need help now".

Also, anyone who is serious about wanting and needing help should give as much info as possible. I have seen many times where a problem is stated like "runs rough" and then a member trying to help asks first thing when the last tune parts were replaced and the OP says, "yea I did that but no help'. Well why didn't you say so???????

Have a good thanksgiving Ron...will have an update as the decisions are made.