Gruven heater core T-connectors

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kbuskill

***CAUTION*** I do my own stunts!
Reaction score
As we all know, the plastic T-connector "quick disconnects" that connect our heater hoses to the heater core in the front and tee off to the rear heater core are prone to getting brittle and cracking and leaking or just breaking off all together (both have happened to me) and dumping all the engine coolant at once.

I mentioned in a thread the other day that Gruven should build these out of metal as they do there brass mirror gears for our trucks...
http://www.gruvenparts.com/gruvenpa...-2007-2014-gm-trucks-folding-mirror-assembly/
These are great replacement parts BTW.

Well I sent Gruven an email the other day and suggested it to them and after exchanging a few emails, and me agreeing to do a little leg work, they have decided to produce them for us out of Billet aluminum.

I am not certain when they will be available as of yet because they still have to build the prototypes and send them to me for testing but I doubt it will take very long from the sounds of it.

I am hoping that it will be a similar "quick disconnect" type of fitting but that is yet to be determined. It may end up being a barbed type connector which would still be functional but would be a little harder to install due to how the cowl sticks out over top of the connectors at the firewall.

Anyway I just wanted to give you guys a heads up and I will keep you all posted on how it works out.

I will post pics once I have the prototypes in hand.

Last edited:

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As we all know, the plastic T-connector "quick disconnects" that connect our heater hoses to the heater core in the front and tee off to the rear heater core are prone to getting brittle and cracking and leaking or just breaking off all together (both have happened to me) and dumping all the engine coolant at once.

I mentioned in a thread the other day that Gruven should build these out of metal as they do there brass mirror gears for our trucks...
http://www.gruvenparts.com/gruvenpa...-2007-2014-gm-trucks-folding-mirror-assembly/
These are great replacement parts BTW.

Well I sent Gruven an email the other day and suggested it to them and after exchanging a few emails, and me agreeing to do a little leg work, they have decided to produce them for us.

I am not certain when they will be available as of yet because they still have to build the prototype and send it to me for testing but I doubt it will take very long from the sounds of it.

I am hoping that it will be a similar "quick disconnect" type of fitting but that is yet to be determined. It may end up being a barbed type connector which would still be functional but would be a little harder to install due to how the cowl sticks out over top of the connectors at the firewall.

Anyway I just wanted to give you guys a heads up and I will keep you all posted on how it works out.

I will post pics once I have the prototypes in hand.

That's awesome Ken! Keep us posted, mine are fine but that is the perfect upgrade to ensure 100% reliability in that area.

OP
OP
kbuskill

kbuskill

Reaction score
That's awesome Ken! Keep us posted, mine are fine but that is the perfect upgrade to ensure 100% reliability in that area.

He also asked me if I wanted any other mods done to them. I said I hadn't really thought about it.

He suggested cutoff valves so you could stop the coolant flow to the heater cores in case of a leak.

I said that would be a cool feature if you ever needed it... praying I never will... lol

Any way if you guys have any other reasonable suggestions for them let me know and I will pass it along to them and see what they say.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
He also asked me if I wanted any other mods done to them. I said I hadn't really thought about it.

He suggested cutoff valves so you could stop the coolant flow to the heater cores in case of a leak.

I said that would be a cool feature if you ever needed it... praying I never will... lol

Any way if you guys have any other reasonable suggestions for them let me know and I will pass it along to them and see what they say.

He can't turn this on a lathe, but how about updated navigation discs for our factory nav systems? Cut off valve would be neat but this ain't no muscle car, the heat is on all the time now unlike how they did it in the old days.

What's something weak and breaks all the time? He already does the door handles and gears... Have to think about that.

OP
OP
kbuskill

kbuskill

Reaction score
He can't turn this on a lathe, but how about updated navigation discs for our factory nav systems? Cut off valve would be neat but this ain't no muscle car, the heat is on all the time now unlike how they did it in the old days.

What's something weak and breaks all the time? He already does the door handles and gears... Have to think about that.

He also does door lock actuators.

I don't think he was asking for ideas for other parts as much as ideas to make the T-connectors better.

Although I am certain he wouldn't be opposed to making a completely different part if the need were there.

I think the idea of the cutoff valves was more for shutting off the water to a heater core that was dumping coolant so that you could continue to drive the vehicle until getting it repaired without having to disconnect and bypass it.

For example if you rear heater core developed a leak you could turn off the valves to the rear heater core and still have front heat or vice versa without losing coolant. Or at least that is what I gathered from our brief discussion of it.

OP
OP
kbuskill

kbuskill

Reaction score
Just got an email from Gruven. He is asking for some input to see what kind of interest there is in these. Here is the content of the email...

Ken,

The only real way we can make this is as machined/tig welded 6061-T651 aluminum Y tube and include 2 short lengths of coolant hoses with hose clamps to allow it to be attached to existing hard lines via coolant hose. Cost likely $69.99 ea lead time 2-3 weeks. We need 10 orders.

Can you post this info with instruction to just email me directly to get on the buy list ?

I will also get some screen shots of the design as well soon.

We need some input/assurance from potential buyers on this. I realize OEM part cost is like $10 so we need to be sure people aren’t just going to buy 7 of the plastic parts and replace them on side of road each time they break. Sounds like a huge pain to me but I know money is always tight so we have to be respectful of what people are willing to pay to end this problem once and for all.

To build the part as per OEM, it would cost hundreds of dollars, and would require injection molding tooling to make the white plastic inserts. Then you would still have a plastic insert in there so it would only be as strong as whatever that was.

Paul

www.GruvenParts.com

https://www.facebook.com/GruvenParts/

So there it is ladies and gentlemen. Please email him directly at...

[email protected]

Also if you do email him please post in here so we can keep a tally of how many we have/need.

OP
OP
kbuskill

kbuskill

Reaction score
Just a bump for exposure... hoping to get enough interest to bring this to market.

OP
OP
kbuskill

kbuskill

Reaction score
So here is the latest word from Gruven...

We can do the quick disconnect version but it would be much more expensive. Also, it would rely on the plastic tabs to hold in place, so if those broke then it we would have to make those as well (injection mold, tool cost $5-10K).

We can do whatever people want, but to make metal version identical to OEM would be expensive, like in the $250 each range… unless we could build/design some quick release adapter.

By far the easiest and least expensive way to do this is with a machined/welded tee fitting that utilizes short lengths of hose to connect into the factory lines.

This option would be l $69.99.

Regarding pictures of the design, that would take CAD time. For now you can be assured the part will look similar to the other billet/welded tees we make for the VW/Audi cars, such as these :

http://www.gruvenparts.com/vw-audi-1-8t-golf-jetta-tt-coolant-y-pipe/

http://www.gruvenparts.com/vw-audi-bpy-billet-radiator-hose-4y/

Ken we also ARE looking for more parts ideas, so if any guys on that site/thread have other parts they want considered, please have them just email us directly. We will look at everything.

Paul

www.GruvenParts.com

https://www.facebook.com/GruvenParts/

Here are pics of the parts linked above...

rps20181010_130534_702.jpg
rps20181010_130559_386.jpg

So ours would be similar to these.

I really assumed there would be greater interest for these than what I am seeing in here...:shrug: