Growing up doesn't have to suck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pwtr02ss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had some 20K-mile LS6 springs (yellow) from some Z06 heads I had for a past project.

I got the 2600-2800 converter. I think it's the famed I-6 Trailblazer converter, but with an upgraded clutch and slightly higher stall. The rep said my Tahoe should still roll if I idled in gear with my foot off the brake. Should be perfect for my setup. Mine has a 3.73. I was considering a stock reman for the price, but I decided I wanted known quality internals. Circle D's upgrade clutch and reputation sold me. I didn't wanna do all this work and have a failure cuz I wanted to cheap out on a converter reman'ed with unknown parts by an unknown company with unknown quality control. Getting stranded on the side of the road with a loaded trailer due to a crappy converter would make the cost of the Circle D converter a deal.

For gaskets, I wanna say I used Mahle, Fel-Pro and GM (ACDelco). I stuck to GM gaskets where it mattered, such as for head gaskets and/or where their price was better than or close enough to the aftermarket gasket prices. Now that I'm thinking about it, I can only say for sure that I got GM for the head gaskets. And I'm not even using them since I decided to go with thinner Cometics. Most of the gaskets are Fel-Pro and I think the intake and exhaust manifold gaskets are Mahle. The Fel-Pros look and feel virtually identical to the OEM ones and they come in kits (front seal kit, rear seal kit, etc.), making shopping easier.

Edit: Sounds like you got the exact one I did. This was before the peak of the COVID-19 stuff, but they told me three weeks. I wanna say I had it in two. It comes with a really nice shirt, pen, and koozie. Oh, bolts and shims, too.

Awesome! I have gm head gaskets already, as well. Thanks again for your help. You've made my life much easier and gave me the reassurance to just pull the engine and do basically the same thing you're doing. Two trucks, same year, same color, both basically 200k miles. I think its fate...

I'm gonna have to verify the gear in the avalanche. Id much prefer a 3.73 but I'm not going to swap them if its 3.42.

OP
OP
iamdub

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Awesome! I have gm head gaskets already, as well. Thanks again for your help. You've made my life much easier and gave me the reassurance to just pull the engine and do basically the same thing you're doing. Two trucks, same year, same color, both basically 200k miles. I think its fate...

I'm gonna have to verify the gear in the avalanche. Id much prefer a 3.73 but I'm not going to swap them if its 3.42.

Happy I could be of use! Ours will be leak-free and reliable, but mine will be faster. lol

pwtr02ss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Could've just checked the RPO label for code "GT4".

All vehicles are parked in the back 40 so the driveway was clear for the contractor to park dump trailer for demo on the house, for window install. It’s been raining all week. Was easier to open the safe and pull the window sticker. Didn’t wanna get the new balances wet.

OP
OP
iamdub

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are your parts rolling in yet?

I've had all the parts I needed for about 3-4 weeks now. The only parts I still have coming in are the headers, but I just ordered those last week and they should be delivered within the next few days.

I just haven't had time. May is my most busiest month and this one had a pre-death visit and subsequent funeral resulting in two separate trips to AL (I'm writing this from a hotel in Birmingham), lots of out-of-town work during the week and weekends and a mess of other obligations that have kept me away from the Tahoe. It's stressing me out cuz I don't see an end in sight at the moment.

OP
OP
iamdub

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
... Did all that to make way for these:

IMG_1872.JPG

Shipping might would've been a little cheaper had they not included the duplicate bag of hardware.:rolleyes:

I guess my Tahoe is now officially for track duty only:

IMG_1865.JPG

Long tubes? Short tubes? My answer: Neither! Tri-Y tubes!

IMG_1867.JPG

I don't know what their idea was here, but I've already come up with a game plan:

IMG_1877.JPG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick3645