Growing up doesn't have to suck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

05Single

afraid of the dark
Reaction score
Nice work . Did the same on my Tahoe. Then I used a pair for footwell lights for the 2nd row. So much better and convenient it’s crazy.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
Did a little something today. A Jeep buddy sent me pics of some LEDs he bought to mount in the hatch of his wife's XJ. This reminded me of some similar projector LED pods I had left over from a project years ago. I figured I could put 'em to use as some downlights for the cargo hatch on the Tahoe.

I don't know the wattage, but I tested them prior and decided they'd be plenty bright enough for the purpose:

View attachment 232695

I mounted the lights and ran the wiring along the factory harness, taping it with 3M Super33+ every 6" or less:

View attachment 232698

I tucked about 12" of slack under the jute padding near each light so I'd have slack should I ever need to replace a light:

View attachment 232697

Soldered and heat-shrinked all connections:

View attachment 232696
Eagle Eyes?

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just did something like this but I used an extra boat stern light housing I had laying around with a bright ass LED in it. Mainly for lighting up the tow hitch area so I can hook my boat up at night. Nice in stall there sir.

OP
OP
iamdub

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Replaced the stock 80-lb. trash can of a muffler with an AP Exhaust XS1259.

Made some comparison vids. Slow rev to limiter (4,000 RPM, I think) then a few WOT blasts to limiter.

Before:

After:

Honestly, it's much less aggressive than what I wanted. With the muffler being about a 1/4 the size of the stock one and almost straight through, I expected it to be louder. My best description is that it's basically the stock note/tone, but with the volume turned up one or two clicks. Comparing the videos, the XS actually sounds quieter. It's definitely louder, but deeper. Very smooth and mellow. Maybe the camera recorded the sound differently? The sound it gives off seems to cancel out the growl from the MIT. When cruising, it sounds almost 100% stock and you can barely hear a deep rumble coming from behind you. It's definitely noticeable when you mash on it, but it's still not as aggressive as I was hoping for. I'm gonna run it and see if it changes it's tone with age. It may end up being perfect after the packing gets a little clogged and with catless long tubes. If not, I can easily switch to a chambered style like that Jones one @kbuskill has.

Made a "1 year and 23 minutes later" comparison video. I only listened to the two back-to-back one time, but I didn't detect much difference in the sound. It definitely started sounding better inside the cabin after a few hundred miles. As of this video, the muffler has just under 6,000 miles on it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cbrpilot2