Growing up doesn't have to suck

Discussion in 'Under Construction' started by iamdub, May 25, 2017.

1. iamdub

iamdub Hold on... Lemme overthink this for a bit...

Name:
    Chris
    Did a little something today. A Jeep buddy sent me pics of some LEDs he bought to mount in the hatch of his wife's XJ. This reminded me of some similar projector LED pods I had left over from a project years ago. I figured I could put 'em to use as some downlights for the cargo hatch on the Tahoe.

I don't know the wattage, but I tested them prior and decided they'd be plenty bright enough for the purpose:

IMG_4529.JPG

I mounted the lights and ran the wiring along the factory harness, taping it with 3M Super33+ every 6" or less:

IMG_4543.JPG

I tucked about 12" of slack under the jute padding near each light so I'd have slack should I ever need to replace a light:

IMG_4541.JPG

Soldered and heat-shrinked all connections:

IMG_4540.JPG

2. iamdub

Name:
    Chris
    I ran the wire through the factory jamb boot and added a piece of spiral conduit as extra insurance where it passed through the metal body on it's way to tap into the cargo light about 2' inboard:

IMG_4544.JPG

I located the lights so that they'd be in the gap between the hatch panel and side panel. This would shield them from firing forward when the hatch was closed and a door was opened as well as protect the light from getting sheared off should luggage or cargo slide along the back panel:

IMG_4547.JPG

The light is focused downward so they're not overly bright as to blind you from overhead:

IMG_4546.JPG

...But they put out plenty of flooded light to be a great help when in the cargo area or hitching/unhitching a trailer at night:

IMG_4545.JPG

Now I'm wanting to replace my dome lights to match.

3. wjburken

wjburken Full Access Member

Name:
    Wade
    That looks great! Thanks for sharing.

Might have to find a way to do something like that on my wife’s Denali.

swathdiver likes this.
  4. iamdub

Name:
    Chris
    Thank you. It's nothing difficult, just time consuming but really convenient. If you'd prefer, there's a flush-mount version of these lights- around $13 for a 10-pack on Amazon. I almost bought them but decided that the whole point of even bothering with this was to use these lights that I've had for years and have yet to find any other use for them.

Sam Harris, bigrhino and wjburken like this.
  5. Rocket Man

Rocket Man Build It Better

Name:
    Mark
    Nice job. I’ve thought about doing this but never got around to it.

iamdub likes this.
  6. iamdub

Name:
    Chris
    Thank you. I almost didn't do it after seeing I'd have to remove some trim pieces to lower the headliner in the back. I almost started drawing up plans for a sub enclosure instead but decided to do something I could actually finish. Get you a "round tuit"- it's totally worth it!

Doubeleive and Rocket Man like this.
  7. swathdiver

swathdiver Full Access Member

Name:
    James
    Our Montana's have lights for this purpose and instead of D-pillar speakers they are in the rear hatch as well. Cool when you are tailgating and have the hatch up. Wonder why GM did not do this? The Pontiac's also have a 120V outlet and can fill tires and beach balls off the air compressor if so equipped.

8. iamdub

Name:
    Chris
    Cool! I have a large inverter that I've considered mounting somewhere hidden to feed a couple of receptacles.

9. swathdiver

swathdiver Full Access Member

Name:
    James
    I'm thinking of pulling the setup out one of the Montana's and put it in the GMC. It's on the right in those cars, behind the rear AC. The fitting and on/off for the compressor is on the left side, above the compressor.

10. iamdub

Name:
    Chris
    Aaaaaand you just reminded me of a 12VDC compressor I have kickin' around. It was from a 'bagged hack job truck I bought for parts. I also have a couple of aluminum tanks with about 6 ports. If I put a compressor and tank on the Tahoe, one of those ports will feed a train horn. lol

swathdiver, Rocket Man and Tonyrodz like this.