Growing up doesn't have to suck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
Made a "1 year and 23 minutes later" comparison video. I only listened to the two back-to-back one time, but I didn't detect much difference in the sound. It definitely started sounding better inside the cabin after a few hundred miles. As of this video, the muffler has just under 6,000 miles on it.

Still sounds good, and still loving the declads :D:waytogo:

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
Thank ya! I'm itching to lower it but I think I should wait until after I delete the AFM. I'm pretty sure the declads will be satin black really soon after it's lowered.
Personally, I like the natural aluminum color. Gotta see them in satin black.

Sam Harris

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thank ya! I'm itching to lower it but I think I should wait until after I delete the AFM. I'm pretty sure the declads will be satin black really soon after it's lowered.
Noooooo!! They look perfect as is.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And when I'm ready to swing back a little towards classiness, I wanna step it up to 22" Denali reps in gloss black. Maybe you'll be tired of yours on The Beast around that time? :D
Who knows? They were originally meant to be my Winter rims. I wish Id just went with 24’s, a compromise.

OP
OP
iamdub

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did a full brake job.

The front pads were worn to the squealer tabs and rotors were worn so much they had a ridge about 2mm high around the outer edges. I'm really disappointed in the cryo-tempered StopTech rotors. Maybe the Hawk LTS pads are too aggressive for them? Oh well, I got 50K miles out of them. I kept my original front rotors so I just had them resurfaced since they had plenty left above the minimum thickness spec. The rear pads still had a decent amount of life left, but I wanted them all to be new and matching. I pulled the rear rotors Tuesday evening to drop them off Wednesday to get resurfaced. Behind both rotors, I found the brake dust caked and wet around the seals. It hadn't gotten to the emergency brake shoes. So I added new axle seals to the job, which also meant a rear diff fluid change. I bought new bearings, but didn't change them since I found the current ones had been replaced before with good, USA-made pieces ("National" brand, and the same as what I bought) and had no detectable slack. I returned them to save the $93. I flushed the system through all calipers until the fluid coming out was as clear as the fresh fluid in the reservoir. I also cleaned and re-greased the caliper slide pins and greased all moving contact points with synthetic brake grease.

I started on it all Wednesday night after work around 8:00 and finished around 4:30 Thursday morning. Parts list is as follows:

Front pads: ACDelco 14D1092CH Ceramic, with stainless retaining clips, $23.79 from Amazon

Rear pads: ACDelco 14D1194CH Ceramic, with stainless retaining clips, $25.77 from Amazon

Front rotors: Stock resurfaced, $28.00 at local mechanic shop

Rear rotors: Stock resurfaced, $28.00 at local mechanic shop

Front drag-reduction clips: ACDelco 18K1025SS, $12.70 from RockAuto

Rear drag-reduction clips: Raybestos H6027, $4.56 from Amazon

Brake fluid: Valvoline synthetic DOT 3 & 4, $7.25 (x2) at Advance Auto

Rear gear oil: Mobil1 Synthetic 75W-90, $14.29 (x2) at Advance Auto

Axle seals: National 4762N, $7.69 (x2) at O'Reilly Auto

Rear diff cover gasket: Fel-Pro RDS55031, $14.29 at O'Reilly Auto

Total: $208.76

I went for a drive Friday evening to bed in the brakes. I did a fluid flush during the last brake job 50K miles ago and the fluid coming out wasn't all that bad, so I didn't expect much difference in pedal feel other than what the ceramics would bring. I did notice slightly more response and, of course, no squealing and no shaking/bucking when stopping. It's no performance braking system, but it's all I was aiming for this time around to scratch an item off my to-do list. Actually, it scratches off two items since the rear diff oil got replaced.

Last edited: