Growing up doesn't have to suck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't because I haven't retrofitted (yet?). I was gonna do it then found that the "virtual sensor" was reporting MUCH more accurately, within 2% of actual, since replacing the O2 sensors. Now it's back to being way off. Not as bad as before when it was stuck around 22%. But still far enough off to be disadvantageous. Also, the really short learning cycle is an annoying mystery.
It's not done, it'll keep analyzing the alcohol content for a few more days.

If you did not use GM OE sensors that could be why the readings are off. Denso and Bosch are not OE as I've been learning these past few weeks. All those who are using them are not getting accurate numbers.

George B

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score

If you did not use GM OE sensors that could be why the readings are off. Denso and Bosch are not OE as I've been learning these past few weeks. All those who are using them are not getting accurate numbers.
Please elaborate on the sensor comment.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Please elaborate on the sensor comment.
The GM sensors are calibrated to work with the ECM. The Denso and Bosch sensors don't look like the OE sensors and as I've been learning on this and other forums, doesn't calculate the alcohol content properly. Or rather, the information they provide to the ECM doesn't allow it to calculate it properly.

In most cases when the alcohol content got out of whack, it was either old OE or aftermarket sensors. Guys are putting in Denso and Bosch sensors and still having problems with the alcohol percentages creeping up and causing them problems.

George B

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
The GM sensors are calibrated to work with the ECM. The Denso and Bosch sensors don't look like the OE sensors and as I've been learning on this and other forums, doesn't calculate the alcohol content properly. Or rather, the information they provide to the ECM doesn't allow it to calculate it properly.

In most cases when the alcohol content got out of whack, it was either old OE or aftermarket sensors. Guys are putting in Denso and Bosch sensors and still having problems with the alcohol percentages creeping up and causing them problems.
Not saying it’s not true but we have had much discussion on this and most agreed the Denso sensors were fine and in fact may be the manufacturer of the OEM units anyway. I took denso units out of mine at 70k and replaced them with denso units.

OP
OP
iamdub

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
should be able to adjust learning cycle in the tune...
since youre a big tuner guy now

Damned straight. I'm all over them tire circumference tables. Might be doing that tomorrow, actually.

I'll look into that learning cycle stuff. Can I adjust it "backwards", like change it to understand whatever it's currently reading as 56% as the 69% that I physically measured and have it shift the scale accordingly?

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not saying it’s not true but we have had much discussion on this and most agreed the Denso sensors were fine and in fact may be the manufacturer of the OEM units anyway. I took denso units out of mine at 70k and replaced them with denso units.
Well, I compared them side by side (pictures on Rock Auto) and they look very different. Then there was a rash of guys with alcohol content problems over the course of a few days on this forum, GM-Trucks and Silverado/Sierra and the common denominator was the aftermarket O2 sensors. Once they changed them to GM OE, the problem went away. Coincidence?

OP
OP
iamdub

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Well, that's a ray of hope. I saw that it remained in alcohol content learning mode for around 7-8 miles last time I was monitoring and it settled fairly accurately. This time it was learning for only 2, maybe 3 then stopped and with the content at 56%, just as it was before. I drove about 80 miles today but wasn't monitoring. I wanna spend some time tomorrow troubleshooting that speed sensor issue. If I can manage that, I'll pull another fuel sample.

Do you know if the PCM responds quicker and learns sooner with the physical sensor?

I used Denso 234-4668 (which I now see also shows up as "Denso 12594452" :hmmm2: ). I thought Denso provided sensors for AC Delco and, therefore, were OEM. Would the physical sensor remove the O2 sensors from the equation for calculating alcohol content?

OP
OP
iamdub

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, I compared them side by side (pictures on Rock Auto) and they look very different. Then there was a rash of guys with alcohol content problems over the course of a few days on this forum, GM-Trucks and Silverado/Sierra and the common denominator was the aftermarket O2 sensors. Once they changed them to GM OE, the problem went away. Coincidence?

First off, I have little faith in online retailer photos.
But, ya know something... They have counterfeit NGK and AC Delco spark plugs (among others). I wonder if I and others have gotten counterfeit/inaccurate Denso O2 sensors. So, even if Denso made them for ACD and the legitimate ones in the Denso boxes were all equal and fine, we still would have who-knows-what brand sensors and the resulting issues.

George B

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
It probably isn’t a coincidence and the sensors I took out were different in appearance from the ones I put in. I chalked it up to a design change or something. I just raised the point that many of us are running the denso sensors. Had I even had a suspicion they wouldn’t be as good as originals I would have spent the $$. We were all under the impression they were good.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BWASTEEZE