Growing up doesn't have to suck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
iamdub

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I've only found one "real vs. fake Denso" video on YT so far. But, plenty of results where people where questioning the authenticity of their "Denso" O2 sensors. Most were on Toyotas (high-priced sensors) and I think the oldest discussion was from 2018 with most being 2020-2021, right when the fake spark plugs and such were really starting to flood the market.

I kept the old sensors I took off of mine. I know I put 'em in a plastic bag, maybe the bag the new Densos were in. I don't know if I put them in the Denso boxes, though. It'd be cool to have that bit of evidence.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, that's a ray of hope. I saw that it remained in alcohol content learning mode for around 7-8 miles last time I was monitoring and it settled fairly accurately. This time it was learning for only 2, maybe 3 then stopped and with the content at 56%, just as it was before. I drove about 80 miles today but wasn't monitoring. I wanna spend some time tomorrow troubleshooting that speed sensor issue. If I can manage that, I'll pull another fuel sample.

Do you know if the PCM responds quicker and learns sooner with the physical sensor?

I used Denso 234-4668 (which I now see also shows up as "Denso 12594452" :hmmm2: ). I thought Denso provided sensors for AC Delco and, therefore, were OEM. Would the physical sensor remove the O2 sensors from the equation for calculating alcohol content?

Yes, the physical sensor calculates the AC% near instantaneously but do not remember if it later "spot checks". I learned this from a guy over at Silverado/Sierra who installed the sensor on his 900 pickup.

Chris, that sensor part number is not for our motors. 12583804/213-3866 for Downstream and 12609457/213-4229 for Upstream.

On the "smart page" for the sensors on the ACDelco website is an interchange list. 10 different numbers are listed for other manufacturers but I do not know if they would throw off the alcohol content or not. Never got that far to record part numbers of the sensors that caused problems.

1681058447346.png

It probably isn’t a coincidence and the sensors I took out were different in appearance from the ones I put in. I chalked it up to a design change or something. I just raised the point that many of us are running the denso sensors. Had I even had a suspicion they wouldn’t be as good as originals I would have spent the $$. We were all under the impression they were good.

I know George. This is a recently revelation after years of discussing this.

OP
OP
iamdub

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, the physical sensor calculates the AC% near instantaneously but do not remember if it later "spot checks". I learned this from a guy over at Silverado/Sierra who installed the sensor on his 900 pickup.

Chris, that sensor part number is not for our motors. 12583804/213-3866 for Downstream and 12609457/213-4229 for Upstream.

On the "smart page" for the sensors on the ACDelco website is an interchange list. 10 different numbers are listed for other manufacturers but I do not know if they would throw off the alcohol content or not. Never got that far to record part numbers of the sensors that caused problems.

View attachment 396420

I know George. This is a recently revelation after years of discussing this.

Now I have no idea how I came up with that number. Maybe RA? I just checked RA and they list Denso 2344668 as the upstream sensor. They don't list any "GM Genuine" upstream sensors. I have no use for the downstream sensors other than to keep the holes plugged.

Also, RA lists a "GM Genuine 2133866" for the downstream sensor. That's a Denso part number that coincides with what you just posted. Maybe this is how the suspicion that Denso is the OEM for ACDelco/GM Genuine? I'm wondering, with my luck, if I just so happened to rely on RA's info and it was incorrect.

O'Reilly says 213-3866 and 213-4229 are both for downstream for a 2008 Tahoe VIN 0. It says the 234-4668 is the upstream.

Napa guarantees 234-4668, 213-4229, 213-3866 to fit, but doesn't specify position.

The ACDelco Parts Catalog (the one I found) shows 213-3866 and 213-4229 both as downstream.

Screw all this. I'm gonna get Dorman sensors. :p

OP
OP
iamdub

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Removed both rear wheel speed sensors. I cleaned their tips and stuck a paper towel into the holes on the axle tube and spun the wheels in both directions to wipe the axle shaft clean. Reinstalled the sensors swapped from their original positions. The fault code went from LR sensor to RR, indicating a dead sensor.

Used an 1/8" steel cable wrapped around the center of the tire with the vehicle weight on it to get yet another circumference measurement to ensure my speedometer was as accurate as it could possibly be within my control.

Went to collect a fuel sample and when I loosened the cap on the fuel rail, fuel sprayed out. I thought maybe the gasket in the end of the cap had fallen out of place and was pressing on the valve. Nope:

IMG_5282.JPG

I went to the drawer in my tool box where I keep the core tool and found this:

IMG_5283.JPG

So now I'm ready to put this thing back to stock, sell it to buy a Corolla and sell off all my tools and equipment before I kill myself or someone else. Clearly, the dementia is setting in early for me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Eliteweapons