Got to use the Tahoe as an "ambulance "

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Blanket or towel is always handy
I keep at least two in my truck all the time. Twice I've used them to comfort an injured person in a car accident before the cavalry arrived and once used one as you did when a female bald eagle struck the lead vehicle in our convoy and then bounced off of our van's hood. We comforted her and took her to the refuge but she was too broken up inside to save. Beautiful bird, wing span had to be at least 6-7 feet.

RAMurphy

Bob
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So my wife and i were headed home yesterday afternoon, and i could see something in the road ahead of us. She looked up at the right time and saw it too, then asked was that alive? I said yeah as i braked to do a U turn and hit the stability button because i didnt want to be "nannied" with the maneuver i was about to pull. So through the median and full throttle turn to go back and check out the scene.

View attachment 386858View attachment 386859
Sitting on the stripe between the slow and passing lanes. Broken right wing but seemed okay other than that. So i told her to get the blanket from the back of the Tahoe and lay it out on the hood. And i gently worked the injured wing as best i could to the body and grabbed him up, set him on the blanket and with light wrapping got in the passenger seat. I said head the the vets office they close in 15 minutes, and we got there and dropped it off for the local wildlife refuge to get today. It was banded on its leg so it had been captured before. May be why it was so docile when it was in the truck.
Awesome that you took the time to save this beautiful hawk.

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I keep at least two in my truck all the time. Twice I've used them to comfort an injured person in a car accident before the cavalry arrived and once used one as you did when a female bald eagle struck the lead vehicle in our convoy and then bounced off of our van's hood. We comforted her and took her to the refuge but she was too broken up inside to save. Beautiful bird, wing span had to be at least 6-7 feet.

Me too! Also for breakdowns and roadside tire changes etc. Blankets and towels.

Alex_M

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Blanket or towel is always handy
It's the number one thing a hitchhiker should always bring with them on a trip around the universe.

OP, great save. Love birds of prey. That's a beautiful one. It's always a shame to find them hurt like that, but always a joy to be able to interact with them so closely.

EddieC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We had a family of red tails with chicks in a tall pine across the street until the mother didn't come back one day. The male searched for days but apparently was not knowledgeable in feeding. A couple from the local raptor rescue group came by and got up to the nest to check on the chicks but they perished due to lack of food. The rescuers surmised that residential lawn pesticides got the mother. She normally didn't venture far from the nest. It was saddening and the male never brought a new mate to the nest on subsequent years.

grouch

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mother Nature can be a good neighbor. Fight her and you'll lose every time. Small raptors are a sign of a healthy ecosystem and they keep the population of prey animals healthy by catching the sick.

I personally always carry a new, clean blanket in my vehicles in case I come up on an accident. If someone is in shock, it will help them hold on until help arrives.

yukon06

Reaction score
Im very sorry about your cat, i know 3 times over how difficult it is to put your family member down.
I also build winter cat shelters and catios in the spring.

That said, good karma for you to stop and help the injured bird....you helped him when he needed it the most.....much respect my friend.