Get a catch can before any mods.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

D_R_C

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My interest peaked, but has died off.
These gassers whatever size are built tight that little 1-3 oz. over the oil change cycle is IMO is nothing to be concerned about.

Now on Diesels which are built a little looser IMO something should to be done to help, because there is more blow-by with the diesels along with the turbo sucking the vapors out, way more than these gassers ever will.
Like a PCV catch can (emissions) or a PCV re-route.

When my engine gets older with very high mileage then maybe I'll consider doing the catch can, this depends on how bad the blow-by is.
But for me it is now on my very low priority list of things to do especially after a little deeper research.

People will do what they want, because they can.

D_R_C

Full Access Member
Reaction score
look how oily my intake was with less than 4k miles on a new truck from my ported manifold thread.

saem thing on my ctsv horrible just like on the trucks.
http://www.ctsvowners.com/forum/showthread.php/2634-Catch-Can

You should include links to this stuff for all to see.
You have not included any pictures as of yet that I have found, this is one reason that I started loosing interest.

Besides when I contacted http://catchcans.com/ the one mentioned on this thread and asked a few questions on the install, because the pics he has on his website is not what I'm looking at.
He told me to go to the forums and find out for myself, that does not go well with me when I'm planning on spending money.
Me personally have been waiting since early last week for photos on your install.

It appears you vehicle is modded more than just a tune.
Most of these guys might have a tune otherwise they are stock.

Example of my 6.2 gasser and Dmax in my sig.
Both have the DIY stock air box mod, both have aftermarket air filters.
Gasser MAF g/s in park @ idle is 8.0, my Dmax MAF g/s in park @ idle is 40.0
5 times more air flow is being sucked in on the Dmax.

OP
OP
NORCAL SS

NORCAL SS

SUV SUSPENSION GURU
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Oil caked on my intake manifold. I've done the lsxr manifold on a few customers trucks and all the same. Guys pop off your intake tube and open your TB plate you will see the intake looks all oiled up. I ran my finger down from inside out and it just dripped out with oil. Thats why so many people run catch cans

20121021_144049.jpg

Last edited:

sparkie124

Reaction score
The way I see it is there is no need for that nasty oil to go through intake and combustion cycle. Catch oil residue and still reburn the vapors is the idea. I ran one on my g8gxp also. The level of nasty will surprise you. Its probably more important on a performance vehicle than you average DD. I spent shit tons on that gxp and didnt want to risk fouling the engine. Tune a engine to its peak performance and then let than run through makes no sence. If your stock no need. If you want max performance, dont burn trash with your fuel air mix. Im ready for pics too. Need mounting ideas. I like the type with the external sight tube.

OP
OP
NORCAL SS

NORCAL SS

SUV SUSPENSION GURU
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
first pic has line location

08grey

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tony? Why do I get oil residue on the line that attaches to the air intake from the passenger side valve cover. That's where I thought you guys were getting the oil residue from. It's a 6.2 btw

OP
OP
NORCAL SS

NORCAL SS

SUV SUSPENSION GURU
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
PASS side goes to intake tube (cant remember right now been in front of my other car all day)

The way i have it set up catches the most of it.

08grey

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Your first pictures show oil with its biggest concentration near the front where the intake tube attaches. I thought then that the oil you were catching you we're preventing from getting into the intake tube and into the throttle body. How does the oil male it past the PVC on top?

OP
OP
NORCAL SS

NORCAL SS

SUV SUSPENSION GURU
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
it goes thru up top on the truck manifolds. This is why you set em up like this

Pic of another truck app
2rz9vsw.jpg