Get a catch can before any mods.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

D_R_C

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The problem I had when I was interested was how to actually remove the top cover.
I was NOT going to just grab it and jerk the top cover until I know what/where it attaches.
I'm not one to jump into something unless I know where I'm going.

Also when us diesel heads do a PCV reroute or catch can we come off both sides not one.

Last edited:

ezdaar

Chat Troll
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Best Catch Can available.
http://saikoumichi.com/

REV_C_SECTION_publish.jpg

I actually build my own based off this design for a FAR cheaper price.

I Add in a check valve from US plastics, as the PCV valve SUCKS! and is out dated tech.
US plastics check Valve
I use these on both NA and Boosted setups.
Never had a single failure with these valves.
64046p.jpg

Last edited:

Matt06Yukon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
it goes thru up top on the truck manifolds. This is why you set em up like this

Pic of another truck app
2rz9vsw.jpg

So this would be the correct routing for both my 5.3 Yukon and my 6.0 HD?
Are we just keeping the engine from having to reburn this dirty oil, is that the design behind this? Still trying to understand why exactly its needed and why the factory system doesn't work. Thanks.

ezdaar

Chat Troll
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Exactly,
Theres a few things that cause oil in the intake.
Improperly designed PCV system<~~~~~~~~
poor ring seal, which creates high crank case pressure.
oil vapors in the air in the crank case.
Gasoline vapors in the crankcase.

So what happens is the manufactures introduce a Positive crank case ventilation system, aka PCV system to remove the potentially explosive, corrosive gasses from the crank case.
This has 2 effects, removing those gasses and helping ring seal by introducing a vacume into the crankcase instead of positive pressure.

What the catch can does is intercept and trap the Heavy particles of oil, in attempt to stop them from being introduced into the intake, thus oiling the walls of the intake, ruining sensors, gunking up valves and valve seats aswell as sparkplugs.
Aswell as being burnt in the combustion chamber and being turned into rock hard Carbon buildup on top of pistons, the combustion chamber itself, the bottoms of your valves and on top of the rings.

Some times in extreme cases carbon will flake off and get lodged inbetween a piston and the cylinder wall, Scratching the wall, piston and ring. Causeing loss of compression in that cylinder.
The carbon can also lock up or freeze rings from movement causeing a bad seal and loss of compression.
If a carbon flake gets lodges between a valve face and seat it can bend (catastrophic failure here, as in piston and valve contact) or severely scratch a valve and valve seat, causing loss of compression.

Carbon build up due to burning of oil from your PCV system in early stages builds up on the piston tops and valve bottoms, which creates "hotspots" which cause detonation as well as that puff of smoke you see alot of vehicals have from the exhaust when first started up from a cold condition.
The oil from the intake seeps into the combustion chamber and is burnt off immediately upon ignition.

This not only can destroy a engine, The ECU will sense the detonation, spark knock, and thus pull timing to stop the knock.
Resulting in loss of performance, from pure HP/TQ to MPG.
Not to mention the environmental issues of burning oil.

So. back on point, the Catch can acts as a expansion chamber that allows the hot gasses to cool off a slight amount aswell as slow down. allowing the heavy oil to drop from suspension and be collected in the body of the can.
As a by product of this it also collects moisture.
Alot of guys freak out when they drain the can and see milky oilly stuff come from it.
This is normal under most conditions.
But under extreme conditions it can also show a leaky head gasket or on old school engines a faulty intake to block seal. which its allowing hot water vapors to enter the crank case.

So. the bigger the can and the more baffles the can has the better.

You must! stay with a SEALED catch can, none of this vented stuff.
There is alot to explain why, but just trust me. it will really jack with your engine performance, UNLESS the engine is designed and TUNED for a open breather system.

Last edited:

babamerino

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So what I am getting from all the posts is that... A catch can is for tuned and more modded (engine) vehicles? So I am going to get a BB tune... does this mean I need a catch can? Thanks in advance!!!

ezdaar

Chat Troll
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A Catch can is good for ANY engine, regardless of its tune, power or mods.

Stopping oil from entering the combustion chamber is what they do. ALL engines will have Some oil entering the intake.
So to prolong your engine install a catch can.

Matt06Yukon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok thank you. So really this is an after effect of the pcv. Back in the day when we just had breathers we wouldn't have this problem, correct? I mean environment be damned and all.

08grey

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Smoke. What is that cool looking aluminum box?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
firedog9518

Latest posts