Get a catch can before any mods.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tights24

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, so all of the explanations make sense. the results are obvious when looking at some of the posts with what the catch cans are "catching".

So, using the diagram provided that shows the cross section of the catch can, what get's plugged into what and from where on our 5.3l engines?

What I'm looking for is something along the lines of "Take the line that is going to the PCV and plug that into the "vacuum" side of the catch can. Out of the engine side of the CC, run a line to "X".

Does that make sense? Also, are we just finding an empty hole somewhere and doing some tapping for a mounting bracket?

Thanks all and sorry for the repeated questions....

D_R_C

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You install the CC in between the PCV line to the intake.
That way what comes out filters the oil vapors then goes into the intake.
What I don't understand if there is PCV lines is coming up from bothsides, which they should, then why only filter from one side???
Its pretty much a waist of time only filtering one side, if your going to do this then do it right. Catch the oil vapors from both sides.

OP
OP
NORCAL SS

NORCAL SS

SUV SUSPENSION GURU
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
95 percent of oil comes ftom that side. Thats why you do it like that. Yes you can do both if you want

BigBlueLB756

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anybody for something cheap that works pretty good?

100_0155.jpg

The filter element substituted for the one inside is made of:

100_0224.jpg

Cut round pieces as needed.
Unscrew the bowl to empty.

Lowe's or Home Depot can fix you up with the separator, 90 degree barbs, and hose clamps. 3/8" hose as needed from parts store. Cost about $35.

Just thought I'd add some pix of the set-up on my '13 Sierra with the hoses re-routed for more access to the drain and the windows to see the level of gunk collected. How many of those high-dollar cans have that?

100_0278.jpg

Hose route to the engine:

100_0284.jpg

D_R_C

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok my bad BigBlueLB756 was right just pull up the engine cover and work it out, but I would not go as far as to just yanking it up.
My next question is I don't see any clamps of any sort just a larger hose over the smaller hose, how does the hose attach ?? Just slips on ??
It connects the same on top of the intake and at the back of the valve cover on the drivers side.

As you can see I'm back to being interested just doing my homework before ordering.
I learned how to change my mind on a whim being married 39 years.:slap:
Sorry the picture comes out a little blurry when it blows up.

Attachments

• PCV 4-15-13.jpg
    PCV 4-15-13.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 211

JennaBear

Resident Ninja
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I would recommend clamps if possible. We have seen many a vacuum leak due to poorly installed catch cans. Three this weekend alone.

D_R_C

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would recommend clamps if possible. We have seen many a vacuum leak due to poorly installed catch cans. Three this weekend alone.

Yes that part I get, it's how does the factory dirty air/PCV hose disconnect it does not have any clamps. I just don't want to snap anything off trying to remove it.
Dirty air hose is what the dealer calls it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
madmax442