Gas pump keeps shutting off while filling

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sourdeez

Reaction score
I just got a 2010 SSV Tahoe and both times I filled it up so far the gas pump shuts off every few seconds, I have to keep holding it and clicking it on and off a ton of times its quite annoying. Any ideas what could be causing this? My knowledge of that area of vehicles is completely lacking

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just got a 2010 SSV Tahoe and both times I filled it up so far the gas pump shuts off every few seconds, I have to keep holding it and clicking it on and off a ton of times its quite annoying. Any ideas what could be causing this? My knowledge of that area of vehicles is completely lacking

Same station and pump? Try different ones. If it keeps happening, you likely have a clog somewhere, clear the vent line first in the filler neck and then the lines that go to the charcoal canister, might be full of charcoal all the way up to the valve on the engine.

OP
OP
S

Sourdeez

Reaction score
Same station and pump? Try different ones. If it keeps happening, you likely have a clog somewhere, clear the vent line first in the filler neck and then the lines that go to the charcoal canister, might be full of charcoal all the way up to the valve on the engine.

two different pumps, in two different states! Any tips on how to do that. I’ve never messed with anything gas tank related

Oh also I noticed on the California pump if I held it up at an angle it seemed to work better if that means anything

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
two different pumps, in two different states! Any tips on how to do that. I’ve never messed with anything gas tank related

Oh also I noticed on the California pump if I held it up at an angle it seemed to work better if that means anything

It's telling us that your tank is not venting fumes well enough and the pump nozzle is picking that up and clicking off thinking you are full.

You're basically disconnecting hoses and blowing through them to make sure they are clear of obstructions.

You can google for the diagrams or just crawl under and have a look, start with the small line that runs along the filler hose.

akbrener

Full Access Member
Reaction score
check out this thread: https://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/threads/conquering-the-nnbs-p0449-code.50935/

I never had a code if I recall, but did have trouble fillng my tahoe. the evap cansiter hose assembly and jumper wire fixed my issue. the new vent part gets relocated up near the top of the fuel filler neck under the truck. I am pretty sure I did this in 2014 and havent had any issues since.

Stache

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Had this exact same issue replaced a bunch of parts including the charcoal canaster....this is what fixed mine. Havent had an issue since.

ACDelco 23481275 GM Original Equipment Vapor Canister Vent Valve

I have a 2007 tahoe...this part is connected to the charcoal canaster (big black box)

mattjones

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’ve been noticing this with my 2011 Z71 recently at different gas stations. Pull the nozzle out of the tank a little bit next time you fill up. Not having it inserted all the way in seems to have solved it for me so far.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine just started doing this. I can hear the air squealing out of somewhere as the fuel is backing up in the neck. The pitch gets higher as the fuel gurgling gets louder, then the handle clicks off.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine just started doing this. I can hear the air squealing out of somewhere as the fuel is backing up in the neck. The pitch gets higher as the fuel gurgling gets louder, then the handle clicks off.

Check the vent and see if anti-siphon is still working, if you have it.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check the vent and see if anti-siphon is still working, if you have it.

Is that the hose that goes up the filler pipe?

As much as it sits, it's probably clogged with a mud dauber nest. lol

I plucked one off the RH exhaust manifold a couple weeks ago.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ihaveatahoetoo