hard to start after replacing evap items for won’t fill with gas

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gmcyukonowner

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hello. I have to crank a long time before starting after replacing some Evap items.

I know there are tons of threads on the hard to fill with gas topic but I have not seen my situation. Please help and I thank you in advance for any help.

2007 Yukon 5.3 flex.

I have the typical hard to fill up. It would only take up to a 1/2 to a gallon at a time.

I removed the vent line from tank to canister and lots of charcoal.

This is what I’ve done

Replaced canister (aftermarket), the vent valve with new wiring connection # 23481275 and purge valve #12597567

When replacing there was a lot of charcoal in the purge valve line and I tried to clean it out. Also pellets in the line from tank to canister and I tried to shake them out.

After all that I have to crank the car over for up to 10 seconds before it starts.
Also still have the hard to fill.
Weird is sometimes I can pump at full speed several gallons before the pump clicks it off. Other times only up to 1/2 gallon. Very random and weird.

Also I removed the purge valve a few times as charcoal was getting up in it, I assume left over from in the line getting sucked up as the valve turns on. I took it off today and none was in there. So I assume any that was still in the line is gone now?

I’m assuming maybe there are pellets in the line from tank to canister and I’ll likely have to drop the tank, buts weird how I can pump many gallons sometimes. Anywhere else to look?

Any ideas on the long crank since replacing everything?

I should also add that the fuel economy is at least half of what it was before I replaced the parts. Very poor fuel economy.

Thanks again for any help

Last edited:

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
My fuel tank filling problem didn’t end until doing everything you did as well as pulling the tank, wiping it out, replacing the pump and blowing out every line possible with the tank out.

Rock auto and parts geek have the lowest prices on OEM pumps. Most have lifetime warranty. Do not use aftermarket or you’ll do the job again in 1-2 years.

Last month I filled up the tank from bone dry to 31 gal without the nozzle clicking off. Prior to that it was helll like you describe and I could only get 26 gal in the tank.

Savageshooter

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hi, I am with Pete on this one. 2011 tahoe with the 5.3 flex. I put this off for so long that once I did finally drop the tank the evap lines that run along it were full of pellets. I even had some inside the tank and the fuel pump pick up screen area. Luckily nothing made it up to the solenoid under the hood. I didnt need a fuel pump at the time but i did decide to get an oem pump with a warranty as mentioned above. Its a huge pain in the rear. If this is the only issue you have you will have much relief when you finally get everything sorted and are able to fuel up at full speed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dustpan

Latest posts