Post rebuild issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tkdgirl

Reaction score
I'm certainly not mechanically inclined but I'll try to explain what's been going on.

In July, after a series of overheating mishaps a good friend of mine who rebuilt engines took a look see. He heard some really bad knocking and suspected some pretty bad damage so he tore the entire engine apart. And since he was there he just had to delete the DOD, put a new camshaft and basically everything else new. The only thing that was reused were the Pistons. Basically a brand new engine.

Since then there's been a myriad of things happening. One the custom tune that was done had the idle set to high so the car was stalling. That's been fixed.

But since then the car has had problems starting. To the point where it completely died on a weekend trip. A jump start couldn't get it taken care of so I got a new battery. Put the battery in and it fired up right away drove it home thank God. Next day would not start completely dead. So I was able to jump it with a heavy duty jumper and got it back to him. He did all the inspections and found that the ground strap near the battery was loose so tighten that back up started back up good to go.

But now it just is hesitant to start. It won't turn over right away. Then if I turn it back off then turn it back on for a start it's okay. This is when the car is cold. Doesn't happen when it's warm. My guy said he thinks it might be fuel pressure and gave me a test to do by turning the key for 3 seconds turning it back off for 5 seconds and then starting it.

So fuel pump? Alternator going?! Starter? Feels like we've replaced so much on here that everything is dominoing.

If it's not the fuel pump what the hell is going on? It hasn't been reliable at all since the rebuild and I've been stuck quite a few times. I just want it fixed and running great. When it does run it's smooth as silk, The tune is incredible. And the power is amazing. Actually getting better gas mileage.

Tahoe14

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If all that was working before the rebuild then you begin to wonder if everything was installed and hooked up correctly. It may end up being a process of elimination to find the problem. Hopefully someone on this forum can help figure it out. Good luck.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm certainly not mechanically inclined but I'll try to explain what's been going on.

In July, after a series of overheating mishaps a good friend of mine who rebuilt engines took a look see. He heard some really bad knocking and suspected some pretty bad damage so he tore the entire engine apart. And since he was there he just had to delete the DOD, put a new camshaft and basically everything else new. The only thing that was reused were the Pistons. Basically a brand new engine.

Since then there's been a myriad of things happening. One the custom tune that was done had the idle set to high so the car was stalling. That's been fixed.

But since then the car has had problems starting. To the point where it completely died on a weekend trip. A jump start couldn't get it taken care of so I got a new battery. Put the battery in and it fired up right away drove it home thank God. Next day would not start completely dead. So I was able to jump it with a heavy duty jumper and got it back to him. He did all the inspections and found that the ground strap near the battery was loose so tighten that back up started back up good to go.

But now it just is hesitant to start. It won't turn over right away. Then if I turn it back off then turn it back on for a start it's okay. This is when the car is cold. Doesn't happen when it's warm. My guy said he thinks it might be fuel pressure and gave me a test to do by turning the key for 3 seconds turning it back off for 5 seconds and then starting it.

So fuel pump? Alternator going?! Starter? Feels like we've replaced so much on here that everything is dominoing.

If it's not the fuel pump what the hell is going on? It hasn't been reliable at all since the rebuild and I've been stuck quite a few times. I just want it fixed and running great. When it does run it's smooth as silk, The tune is incredible. And the power is amazing. Actually getting better gas mileage.

It sounds like there were some loose ends left over following the major surgery. The botched tune, loose battery ground, etc. To this day, I still can not figure out what people mean when they say the engine "turns over". Doesn't crank when you turn the key? Cranks but doesn't start? Cranks for a while but then starts? Is "turning over" the engine spinning when you're holding the key to crank it or is it the engine firing up and running as it should? Or is it actually turning over in the engine bay as if the mounts aren't bolted? This would destroy various wires and hoses. Going out on a limb, I'm gonna guess you mean it has an extended crank time before firing up. This occurring after it being down for a while during the engine work might just be coincidental. Perhaps the fuel module is older and with it sitting unused for a while, the prime valve dried up and failed. So, the fuel system is losing its prime when it sits for a few hours or overnight. What your guy suggested doing is a way to prime the system before attempting to start. I've always suggested turning the key on (not crank) for about three seconds then off for about three seconds and repeating this once or twice more before going straight to cranking it. Basically the same suggestion, just more times. Either way, does this show a consistent improvement in the cranking time?

Last edited:

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
that's where I'm at.. I put a new napa pump in my 96 and probably 6 months after doing it, it would crank for a while before starting and then run rough like it was flooded for a bit. turning the key on for a sec to prime the fuel pressure up before cranking and it fires right up cleanly.

just figured the napa pump check valve was junk and didn't feel like dropping the tank to fix it. still does it to this day, just becomes habit to pause for a sec between key on and crank.

probably just coincidence or from sitting around with fuel in the tank while rebuilding and it turned a bit.

OP
OP
tkdgirl

tkdgirl

Reaction score
It sounds like there were some loose ends left over following the major surgery. The botched tune, loose battery ground, etc. To this day, I still can not figure out what people mean when they say the engine "turns over". Doesn't crank when you turn the key? Cranks but doesn't start? Cranks for a while but then starts? Is "turning over" the engine spinning when your holding the key to crank it or is it the engine firing up and running as it should? Or it it actually turning over in the engine bay as if the mounts aren't bolted? This would destroy various wires and hoses. Going out on a limb, I'm gonna guess you mean it has an extended crank time before firing up. This occurring after it being down for a while during the engine work might just be coincidental. Perhaps the fuel module is older and with it sitting unused for a while, the prime valve dried up and failed. So, the fuel system is losing its prime when it sits for a few hours or overnight. What your guy suggested doing is a way to prime the system before attempting to start. I've always suggested turning the key on (not crank) for about three seconds then off for about three seconds and repeating this once or twice more before going straight to cranking it. Basically the same suggestion, just more times. Either way, does this show a consistent improvement in the cranking time?
It does not. Tried the 3 sec/5 sec this morning and it wouldn't turn over (start). Came back 5 min later and it started right up.

Dustin Jackson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To me..

Turn over = Starter turns the engine.

Start = Engine turns and ignition occurs and now the engine is running under it's own combustion power.

Engine Runs = The starter turns the engine and ignition occurs and now the engine is running under it's own power.

For example: The engine turns over but doesn't start = the starter spins the engine but ignition doesn't occur and so the engine isn't running.

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nope. I came back 5 min later and it started right up.

so the starter spins the engine over but it doesn't start, even after cycling the key to allow the pump to prime. but you let it set for 5mins and it starts right up like normal with or without cycling the key for the 3sec on and off?

bit lost in wording of what your actually going thru. but if I'm understanding it.. I'd put a fuel pressure gauge on it, and of you have fuel pressure but it's not starting, just spnning over. I would question the cranking tune in the ecm. especially since you've had a issues with the tune already.

any details on who tuned it and how they did it? like what software and stuff?

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if you mean the starter is not cranking the engine over at all with the key, and then you come back 5 mins later and it does. that's most likely electrical. and would need more info like what's happening with the lights while this no crank is happening. as said above, we all don't use the same terms to describe stuff, but little misunderstandings can lead a totally different path when trying to trouble shoot over stuff on here.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pepper1700