Tahoe won't restart after getting gas - Not the usual issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
O

OffRoadN

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Engine works fine with purge valve unplugged but then goes haywire with purge valve plugged in, right? And just because its clicking and opening doesnt rule out the valve being plugged up with charcoal from your canister.
Not really. The engine runs fantastic at all times except just after getting gas. Doesn't need to be a full tank (and often isn't). Happens after adding just a few gallons regardless of the level prior to filling. Tank is NEVER overfilled.

Definitely not plugged with charcoal as I have manually activated the valve and can blow through it with ease and without debris being expelled.

As to the multimeter readings... Voltage was at 14.06 Volts and coil resistance is 21.2 Ohms on my buddies (which was installed on his Suburban but now installed on my Tahoe), and 21.5 Ohms on the one that was originally on my vehicle.

Purge valves can be intermittent. Maybe it's misbehaving when it gets warm.
Good thought, but I still go back to the fact that it passes all the OBD-II test cycles (for both purge valve and vent valve) and when I unplug it, the valve is closed and stays closed. If I keep it unplugged but put a Noid on the unplugged connector I can see it rapidly flash on and off just after I start the vehicle. If I connect the connector I can feel this is happening with the solenoid in addition to seeing it.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Wouldn't hurt to swap out the purge valve. Since it seems that it's getting over-fueled just prior to a warm restart, you may want to do an injector balance test. One may be flooding out a cylinder.

What do your short- and long-term fuel trims look like? Both banks.

Last edited:
OP
OP
O

OffRoadN

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
During the swap, I noticed that mine is missing a rubber (maybe silicone?) piece that fits under the solenoid. It only removes play, does not affect performance. Mine seemed too loose so I had previously added a couple of washers. Now I see it's missing a part. Anyone know the part number for this? I can't find any exploded parts diagrams on the web anymore.

I'll post in a separate thread with a pic of it, but thought I would mention it here too.

OP
OP
O

OffRoadN

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Wouldn't hurt to swap out the purge valve. Since it seems that it's getting over-fueled just prior to a warm restart, you may want to do an injector balance test. One may be flooding out a cylinder.

What do your short- and long-term fuel trims look like? Both banks.
I did the swap and will update below. NOT ALL warm restarts! It warm restarts just fine as long as I haven't just gotten gas.

I loaned out my Tech2 so I can't see fuel trims right now (well unless I go to Autozone and see if they'll do it for me).

UPDATE: I swapped out the purge valve and the EXACT same problem is occurring. Swapped them, warm restarted just fine, drove to gas station just fine, filled up (only added 4 gallons which brought me to almost 3/4 tank), attempted a start and no go. Held pedal to the floor, started, dropped down to 2k RPMs for about 10 seconds, drove away just fine. Exact same experience as I have been having with my purge valve.

The valve that was on my Tahoe is now on my buddy's Suburban. It started and ran just fine so we are going to leave them this way for now. Since mine didn't have the rubber piece, his vehicle is currently lacking it until I swap them back in a couple of weeks or so (want to have him get gas before swapping back).

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have you tried filling your truck and just leave it running? I'd be curious to know if it starts stumbling. Also, what happens if you open the gas cap and leave it to atmosphere without putting an fuel in it? I'm just trying to figure out if there is some weird tank pressurization or vacuum condition.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Even though we think it's not an emissions issue, a purge and seal procedure would indicate that the fuel tank pressure sensor is working and the fuel system is sealing (and holding) properly. Almost a SWAG but a possibility.

EDIT: could also monitor fuel tank pressure before, during, and after fueling, watching for oddities.

OP
OP
O

OffRoadN

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Have you tried filling your truck and just leave it running? I'd be curious to know if it starts stumbling. Also, what happens if you open the gas cap and leave it to atmosphere without putting an fuel in it? I'm just trying to figure out if there is some weird tank pressurization or vacuum condition.
Yes, I have. It runs just fine I don't notice it stumbling while filling, but it's been awhile and I can do it again.

Lost me on the second part. Do you want me to remove the gas cap and let it sit overnight, or remove it and do a warm restart, or remove it while driving? I haven't tried any of these so let me know what you would like me to test and I'll make it happen!

Edit: Oh, I have kept the gas cap off the truck when trying to restart right after filling. Same problem, but I can try at other times as well if that would be good...?
Even though we think it's not an emissions issue, a purge and seal procedure would indicate that the fuel tank pressure sensor is working and the fuel system is sealing (and holding) properly. Almost a SWAG but a possibility.

EDIT: could also monitor fuel tank pressure before, during, and after fueling, watching for oddities.
What is a purge and seal procedure? Do you mean the OBDII tests that are run for the purge and vent solenoids? Those complete without error.

I haven't closely monitored tank pressure, but I have pulled the nozzle just about all the way out while filling and pulled back (hard) on the flapper that normally seals and can feel some (very light) fumes escaping. through the filler neck this way. No difference, still stumbles, if I don't floor it when starting (or disconnect the electrical connector on the purge solenoid).

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, I have. It runs just fine I don't notice it stumbling while filling, but it's been awhile and I can do it again.

Lost me on the second part. Do you want me to remove the gas cap and let it sit overnight, or remove it and do a warm restart, or remove it while driving? I haven't tried any of these so let me know what you would like me to test and I'll make it happen!

Edit: Oh, I have kept the gas cap off the truck when trying to restart right after filling. Same problem, but I can try at other times as well if that would be good...?

What is a purge and seal procedure? Do you mean the OBDII tests that are run for the purge and vent solenoids? Those complete without error.

I haven't closely monitored tank pressure, but I have pulled the nozzle just about all the way out while filling and pulled back (hard) on the flapper that normally seals and can feel some (very light) fumes escaping. through the filler neck this way. No difference, still stumbles, if I don't floor it when starting (or disconnect the electrical connector on the purge solenoid).
OK. You answered my questions. I was going to have you just open the tank to atmosphere on a hot restart like would happen at the station but it sounds like you've already ruled that out.

One other thing you may want to look at would be the fuel pressure regulator. I've seen them fail and flood out engines. It was common for awhile in the early 2000's on various vehicles.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Off Road Pedia