Gas prices making anyone reconsider?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Polo08816

Full Access Member
Reaction score
local dealer, who would have maybe two new half tons out on the lot since the first of the year....now has 15-20....granted they don't really have anything else, but a little surprised by the inventory.

since this is a Tahoe/Yukon forum...my guess is it'll be the first of next year before we see the majority of dealers with Tahoe/Yukon inventory on the lots....22s will be trickling in for the rest of the summer and 23s may start production in late July/August, but I wouldn't expect one until late fall if I was ordering one
My friend is a car broker and he says right now, it appears supply isn't as much of a problem as manufacturers make it out to seem. For the higher end vehicles that he has been order, they've been entering production very quickly. He thinks his opportunity to flip these vehicles will diminish rapidly.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The gas prices are making us think about how much we drive our XL Denali vs the other cars in our family fleet. It's also caused us to cancel a couple of camping weekends - not because we can't afford the gas, but that the cost vs enjoyment balance of the trips tipped the other way. For example, instead of taking yet another trip to the same campground that's 5 hours away on a weekend last month, we decided to stay home. And in the process, saved $500 in gas.

Polo08816

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The gas prices are making us think about how much we drive our XL Denali vs the other cars in our family fleet. It's also caused us to cancel a couple of camping weekends - not because we can't afford the gas, but that the cost vs enjoyment balance of the trips tipped the other way. For example, instead of taking yet another trip to the same campground that's 5 hours away on a weekend last month, we decided to stay home. And in the process, saved $500 in gas.
Demand destruction in progress...

Baja_Bob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I plan on going up to Mackinaw Island after the holiday, as much as I'd like to take the Yukon the Bronco Sport gets 30 mpg.

Polo08816

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Exactly. If you don’t need a $60k+ SUV at this exact moment, why not wait until the recession is announced to the common folk and reap the lower prices?

Seems like the recession is happening. Credit is certainly going to get tighter after July and September's Fed funds rate increases. September is also around the time Jeep starts delivering the Wagoneer L and Grand Wagoneer L as well as Toyota starting to deliver the Sequoia.

What I don't know is whether the supply chain will get worse in 3-6 months or get better for Ford and GM production.

Reaction score
Yes, I am hesitant to buy right now ... not because of gas prices but because I think demand will decrease as many tighten their belts. However, that being said ... I don't think we are going to see huge discounts on new cars because of supply issues. I'm not certain that the supply issues is just problem getting parts for the manufacturers ... it may be they are careful to not have supply ramped up as it becomes official we are in a recession and experiencing stagflation. It could be a slow 1-3 years for many. The manufacturers have found great value in being able to better control their pricing through supply constraint and I think they won't be likely to want to have product sitting on lots and needing to issues rebates like years in the past.

All that being said ... I guess I wait because I want a Duramax and I'm thinking I can catch one sitting on a lot for a while due to especially high diesel prices and more recession fear. I don't NEED one so I can "afford" to sit and wait.

TollKeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If GM starts following the new Ford SOP.. Where the dealers wont have any new products on the lot, that could be a wait. My local GM dealer has a few new vehicles, but I could probably count them on one hand, unless we are talking about the HD side. The have nothing for new GM 1T+, but they have a crap ton for Dodges.

bunky319

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, I am hesitant to buy right now ... not because of gas prices but because I think demand will decrease as many tighten their belts. However, that being said ... I don't think we are going to see huge discounts on new cars because of supply issues. I'm not certain that the supply issues is just problem getting parts for the manufacturers ... it may be they are careful to not have supply ramped up as it becomes official we are in a recession and experiencing stagflation. It could be a slow 1-3 years for many. The manufacturers have found great value in being able to better control their pricing through supply constraint and I think they won't be likely to want to have product sitting on lots and needing to issues rebates like years in the past.

All that being said ... I guess I wait because I want a Duramax and I'm thinking I can catch one sitting on a lot for a while due to especially high diesel prices and more recession fear. I don't NEED one so I can "afford" to sit and wait.
Yeah, makes sense. I'm taking a slightly different approach. I'm going to go ahead and place some orders just to make 100% sure I get exactly what I want. But as we know, placing an order doesn't mean we will get the product any time soon, so waiting will occur naturally. For instance, the "SLT Luxury package" which I want on my SLT says it is not available at "start of production"...so there is more delay. If the economy gets much worse over the next few months and I can get even better pricing than Supplier Pricing, I'll take it. If not, at least I get that on the exact model I want. And in the very worst scenario, as long as I make sure I have completely refundable deposits, I can cancel my orders if I have to. Yes, you may find a Duramax on the lot, but may not be exactly what you want.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ihaveatahoetoo