Anyone driving the Duramax in New England? Determining whether it's worth it when prices are sky high.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

navyseal334

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Currently live in AZ (currently 50-60 cent difference between gas and diesel). Placed an order for a Duramax to get the higher gas mileage (11% premium in fuel price vs a ~40% improvement in gas mileage).

Just realized I may be looking for a new job soon and New England may be a target but diesel prices there are a 45-60% premium to gas prices - eclipsing the MPG benefit.

I'm now wondering whether to bail on the Duramax and to get back in line for a 5.3.

If you're in New England, has the premium on diesel fuel vs gas consistently been this high (pre-2022)? I know there are inventory shortages up there but not sure whether those will resolve soon or will become the new norm. I recognize recessions drop all prices but I worry driving a diesel may be a money sink if we move up there. I also assume resale value will take a hit out there whereas diesels command a premium here in the west.

WalleyeMikeIII

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Another thing to consider is the Diesel in winter temps, and length of trips...depends on driving style, but if your routine driving ends up being a bunch of short trips, you may need to plan on some longer drives on occasion to let the regen happen, etc.

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would get back in line for a 5.3L. In the midwest (NOT the northeast, I know, but closer than AZ.....LOL) we have been running about $1 to 1.50 more per gallon for diesel over gasoline which makes it not worth it.

Also, consider the savings up front for the gas vs. Diesel engine options. Then add in DEF, more expensive oil, colder temps which will make regen more common as WALLEYEMIKEIII stated.

Case of comparison: 2015 3500HD with 6.0L. Got 9.5 - 11 mpg depending on season and workload. Service truck that weighed in at 12,300 lbs all day, everyday. Plus pulls a trailer 25% of time.

Truck was replaced by idiot service manager with 2020 RAM 3500 with the diesel. Fuel economy 7.8 - 10.2 depending on season and work load. Weighed the same and did the same work. Oil changes were a $400 visit vs. $80 at the dealership.
DEF problems in the cold........list goes on.

I am a fan of diesels like the 2001-02 duramax that has all the good technology without the emissions BS and provided great economy and low cost of ownership. New diesels won't be in my garage ever again.......

tungsten

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think the only reason to get a diesel would because your towing a lot.

Price of diesel here in NW Canada has mostly always been much higher then gas. Add on top the price to buy and maintain costs.

OP
OP
navyseal334

navyseal334

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Towing would be occasional; mostly for daily driving.

For context it's a Suburban with 3.0 LM2 which may mitigate some of the drawbacks from largely daily driving (we'll be having our fifth kid soon so we need the room). It doesn't increase upfront cost, though maintenance and DEF will be factors (will have to learn to do my own oil changes).

tungsten

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Being in Canada I dont think Ive ever seen a diesel Yukon.Most all heavy pulling is done 5th wheel.So deisel trucks are the norm.

tungsten

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Towing would be occasional; mostly for daily driving.

For context it's a Suburban with 3.0 LM2 which may mitigate some of the drawbacks from largely daily driving (we'll be having our fifth kid soon so we need the room). It doesn't increase upfront cost, though maintenance and DEF will be factors (will have to learn to do my own oil changes).
I keep forgetting about the 3.0,you mention diesel so automatically I think the big boy.

When merging onto hwy how is it? Like 20 to 70mph.

BrokerThis

'22 Denali Dmax
Reaction score
@navyseal334 Check the diesel subform for a bunch of info. Overall consensus, the babymax is fantastic, mileage and performance makes it still worth the price of fuel, esp with gas creeping up again.

DEF usage without hauling can get you 5-10k miles before needing to fill up that tank.

Oil changes aren't too different compared to the gasser.

Handling the weather, a couple guys in MN/WI on the board have reported they didn't have any issues during the winter months last season. I personally can not give my feedback on this for MI weather, since I got mine in July. But so far, the 10 month wait for the diesel was worth it.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Currently live in AZ (currently 50-60 cent difference between gas and diesel). Placed an order for a Duramax to get the higher gas mileage (11% premium in fuel price vs a ~40% improvement in gas mileage).

Just realized I may be looking for a new job soon and New England may be a target but diesel prices there are a 45-60% premium to gas prices - eclipsing the MPG benefit.

I'm now wondering whether to bail on the Duramax and to get back in line for a 5.3.

If you're in New England, has the premium on diesel fuel vs gas consistently been this high (pre-2022)? I know there are inventory shortages up there but not sure whether those will resolve soon or will become the new norm. I recognize recessions drop all prices but I worry driving a diesel may be a money sink if we move up there. I also assume resale value will take a hit out there whereas diesels command a premium here in the west.
I owned a diesel BMW when I lived in Boston for a bit more than a year in 2014-2015. Diesel price was always much higher than gas, negating any benefit. Then I sold the car taking a $35K depreciation hit over 4 years. I vote for the 5.3 and if you can wait a couple of years, you’ll get a daisy of a deal on a used one.

pa31p

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Around Ontario it’s about $1.75USD per gallon more for diesel. we still have a Mercedes GLE350d. would not trade it. running costs much higher vs gas but like the pulling powrr. personally I’d keep the order for the Diesel. if you’re looking for economy in a Yukon….it ain’t there period. gas or diesel.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
firedog9518

Latest posts