Gas prices making anyone reconsider?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

R32driver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why are the brand new gassers time bombs? I think the lifter issue is related to engines built in a specific timeframe. Before or beyond that timeframe I assume you're fine?! As far as I heard from GMC the lifter issue is related to things that happened during Covid when parts were stored outside and impacted by climate, and no one was there to take care of it.
The diesel fans love to call the gassers timebombs just like the gasser fans love to call the diesel high maintenance cause it needs a fairly substantial belt replacement once in its lifetime. I wrote off the diesel immediately after reading about this belt (and complex emissions BS like all modern diesels) but it actually seems to be a really great engine. The lifter issue with gassers appears to be a much smaller issue than this forum would have you believe. GM produces hundreds of thousands of these and most have not had issues.

Swagfu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I remember back in 08 the government had a buyback program or something like it that encouraged people to trade in the larger vehicles for more gas efficient cars. I am surprised they haven't brought that program back. At the time I was driving my first 99 Tahoe Z71. I was commuting to work and it started costing me almost half my paycheck every week just in gas. The trans had started slipping...gas in my area was about $4.30 a gallon, so I took advantage and bought a 2008 Scion Xb. It was a great car but it wasn't the Tahoe. I miss that truck all the time. I have a feeling gas prices will rebound at some point. Now that I am not driving as much, I will be keeping my Tahoe this time around.

xycrazy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Once entering recession mode gas prices will very likely plummet

Chad G 1979

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't have mine yet(timeline unknown yet). However i have an acadia, and canyon so gas prices will be affected somewhat, but i drive less than 6k miles in a year and my wife is around 10k per year, so our driving is not like many folks.

mb1500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Once entering recession mode gas prices will very likely plummet

Not likely. Domestic consumption only dropped around 3% during the last recession, and normalized there for ~6 years.

For most people energy is a need. This is very different from a want, which the value of will indeed plummet here shortly.

R32driver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I seen another jump in price today. Regular up to $4.85 and diesel up to $5.95

suterusu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why are the brand new gassers time bombs? I think the lifter issue is related to engines built in a specific timeframe. Before or beyond that timeframe I assume you're fine?! As far as I heard from GMC the lifter issue is related to things that happened during Covid when parts were stored outside and impacted by climate, and no one was there to take care of it.
Because even newer trucks way past the timeframe reported are failing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laurents10